UMass 1956

The effects of the first flush of post-World War II expansion are visible on M. Hixon's 1956 map of campus, along with the early, but ambitious plans to reshape UMass into a research university. In addition to the increased number of dorms on the Hill and northeast campus, the map catches a moment at which Machmer Hall, Totman Gymnasium, the Student Union, and a new public health building were under construction, with the Drill Hall, the Liberal Arts Annex, and North College slated for removal. Map prepared by Anthony J. Manganaro

UMass 1956


Resources

  • From the Physical Plant Records, Buildings Series, University Archives (RG 36/100/00, Box 2:16)
maps/umass_1956.txt · Last modified: 2017/07/05 12:19 by lquilter
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA