UMass 1947

The beginnings of the post-World War II expansion were just beginning to make their mark on campus. Worth noting is the addition of the hastily-erected housing at Federal Circle (on the left of the map; note the cavalry stables were still present behind the new dorms) and the first Hill dorms, Greenough, Chadbourne, and Butterfield (at the top of the map), but no sign yet of the Northeast Residential Quadrangle. Map prepared by Anthony J. Manganaro; note that the map is oriented with north to the left of the page.

<html> <a href=“”><img src=“” alt=“UMass 1947” style=“width:500px; padding:5px; border:1px solid #111;” /></a> </html>


  • From the Physical Plant Records, Buildings Series, University Archives (RG 36/100/00, Box 2:14)
maps/umass_1947.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/03 12:47 by
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA