Table of Contents
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is a former college of the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Founded in 1911 as the Division of Science, it was renamed in 1930 to the Division of Physical and Biological Science. In 1945, it was renamed to the School of Science, and merged in 1949 with the School of Liberal Arts to become the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1970, it became its own faculty under the name Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In 1993, it split off to form the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In 2009, the college was eliminated after it was deemed unnecessary under Chancellor Robert Holub, and was replaced with the College of Natural Sciences.
All departments that were formerly a part of the college were transferred to the College of Natural Science.
Below is a list of departments, which existed as a part of the college in 2009:
- Department of Biology
- School of Computer Science
- Department of Geosciences
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Polymer Science and Engineering