The Office of the President of the University of Massachusetts provides overall leadership to the entire University and its five campuses pursuant to the direction of the UMass Board of Trustees.
The President's Office primary responsibilities are:
- Represent the University to the Governor, Legislature, Executive branch agencies, state agencies, the federal government and other major external constituencies;
- Coordinate strategic planning, academic affairs, management and fiscal affairs, information systems, legal matters, and human resources management;
- Evaluate the performance of chancellors and campuses; and
- Provide support for the University's Board of Trustees.
The Office manages, through the department of Management and Fiscal Affairs, the University's Central Administrative Services, which include University Information Technology Services, University Auditing, the University Budget Office, and Human Resources including labor relations, the Treasurer's Office, and the University Controller's Office.
Overall planning and policy development and initiation of University-wide programs are also carried out through the President's Office.
Since 1970, the Chancellor has led the campus at UMass Amherst.
- Robert L. Caret, 2012-
- Jack M. Wilson, 2003-2012
- William M. Bulger, 1996-2003
- Sherry H. Penney, 1995-96
- Michael K. Hooker, 1992-1995
- E K. Fretwell, 1991-1992
- Joseph D. Duffey, 1990-1991
- David C. Knapp, 1978-1990
- Franklin K. Patterson, 1978
- Robert C. Wood, 1970-1977
- John W. Lederle, 1960-1970
- Jean Paul Mather, 1954-1960
- Ralph Van Meter, 1947-1954
- Hugh Potter Baker, 1933-1947
- Roscoe W. Thatcher, 1927-1932
- Edward M. Lewis, 1924-1927
- Kenyon L. Butterfield, 1906-1924
- William Penn Brooks, 1905-1906
- Henry Hill Goodell, 1883 and 1886-1905
- James C. Greenough, 1883-1886
- Charles L. Flint, 1879-1880
- Levi Stockbridge, 1876 and 1880-1882
- William Smith Clark, 1867-1879
- Paul Ansel Chadbourne, 1866-1867 and 1882-1883
- Henry Flagg French, 1864-1866