Table of Contents
Morrill Science Center
Design and construction
Situated on the eastern edge of central campus, the Morrill Science Center was constructed to house teaching and research space for natural sciences departments, including Biology, Geology, Microbiology, and Zoology.
Somewhat confused in appearance, Morrill was apparently intended by the architects to harmonize both with the earlier neo-Georgian brick buildings that dominated the campus landscape and more contemporary building styles of the post-war era, but succeeded at neither. Sections of the center were constructed by three separate design firms, making for a less unified feel than other buildings: the western entranceway was designed by Ritchie Associates, the southern wing was the product of Desmond and Lord, and the wings that straddle the east-west exterior passageway are by Morris W. Maloney.
Naming of the building
Named for Justin S. Morrill, Congressman from Vermont and author of the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1858 that authorized land grant colleges.
- Norton, Paul F., Amherst: A Guide to Its Architecture (Amherst, Mass., 1975).
- For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).