Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

m:montague_house 2013/12/18 13:25 current
Line 1: Line 1:
 +======Montague House======
 +
 +**Constructed**: circa 1840
 +
 +**Architects**: Unknown
 +----
 +
 +
 +<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
 +<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
 +<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse2.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse2.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
 +<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse3.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse3.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
 +<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse4.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse4.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
 +</div></html>
 +
 +===== Design and construction =====
 +
 +Montague House is a 2½ story side gable Greek Revival wood frame structure with corner boards, a glass-enclosed front porch,
 +a large dormer with a pediment, and a 2½ story side gable rear ell. The main block is nine bays wide and six bays deep. The ell
 +is nine bays wide. Montague House has an asphalt shingle roof, clapboard siding, wood window sash and a granite foundation.
 +The enclosed stairway at the east end of the ell has a brick foundation.
 +
 +The main entry is in the building’s west elevation, within a glass-enclosed 1-story porch that spans the full width of the house.
 +The porch has four square Greek Revival posts, clapboard knee walls, and three six-pane fixed windows between each post. The
 +second story contains a central 6/6 window that has a more closely spaced pair of 6/6 windows on either side. The attic has a
 +front gable dormer, with a pediment and Greek Revival corner boards, which contains four 6/2 windows. The dormer has a small
 +3/2 window on its south and north elevations.
 +
 +The south elevation of the enclosed porch contains a nine-pane door that has a 2/3 window on either side. The first and second
 +stories of the main block’s south elevation each contain a 6/6 window near the west end of the elevation, and two more closely
 +spaced 6/6 windows near the east end of the elevation. The gable peak has a central 6/6 window.
 +
 +The rear ell’s south elevation has a deeply recessed porch that is overhung by the second story. This recessed section contains
 +two doors and four 6/6 windows. Located to the east of the recessed porch, the south elevation’s front wall has three evenly
 +spaced 6/6, 2/2 and 6/6 windows, followed by a portico with simple Roman Doric columns and a pediment. The door within this
 +portico has 2/2 panes in its upper half and a boarded-over panel in its lower half. The east end of the ell has a very narrow shed
 +roof addition that appears to enclose a stairway to the second story.
 +
 +The ell’s east elevation contains a 6/6 window in the second story, set above the slope of the stairway addition’s roof, and a 3/3
 +window in the gable peak.
 +
 +The stairway addition’s north elevation contains a 3/2 window in the first story and a 2/1 window in its second story. The ell’s
 +north elevation has a somewhat irregular window and door arrangement. On the first story, this consists of a small 3/3 window, a
 +slightly larger 2/2 window, six 6/6 windows, and a 6-panel door with 3/2 panes in its upper third. The main block’s north
 +elevation has an identical window arrangement to what is on its south elevation. The porch’s north elevation contains a doorway,
 +with two 6-pane fixed windows on the west side of the doorway.
 +
 +===== Montague House =====
 +Montague House is a legacy structure that was conveyed with the land when the Massachusetts Agricultural College acquired
 +the farmland associated with this structure, which appears to have happened in 1923, based on the Facilities Department’s
 +records. No information has been discovered to date that documents the history of this property before it was acquired by MAC.
 +
 +===== Landscape Analysis =====
 +Montague House (1923) is located outside the core of the campus and is not shown on historic campus maps or plans. No
 +historic photographs of the building have been located; however, based on campus building construction history it is evident that
 +the landscape associated with Montague House was significantly impacted by the construction of Marks Meadow Elementary
 +School (originally Furcolo Hall) immediately to the north of the house in 1962, with subsequent additions. Changes in
 +circulation patterns from residential scale vehicular and pedestrian circulation to institutional scale circulation has resulted in the
 +addition of bituminous concrete parking areas to the sough of the house and a vehicular turn-around at the eastern side of the
 +house. The scale of Marks Meadow Elementary School, located immediately to the north and east of Montague House, is
 +inconsistent with the scale of Montague House.
 +
 +----
 +
 +==== Source ====
 +
 +  * Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montague house.pdf|Building Survey]] (2009).
m/montague_house.txt · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA