Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

p:paige_laboratory 2013/07/11 07:07 p:paige_laboratory 2017/01/13 04:41 current
Line 3: Line 3:
**Constructed**: 1950 **Constructed**: 1950
-**Architects**: Louis Warren Ross+**Architects**: [[r:ross_louis_warren|Louis Warren Ross]]
---- ----
Line 9: Line 9:
<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> <html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003375.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003375.png" alt="Paige Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003375.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003375.png" alt="Paige Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005080.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005080.png" alt="Paige Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>+<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005080.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005080.png" alt="Paige Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
</div></html> </div></html>
Line 27: Line 27:
=====Paige Laboratory===== =====Paige Laboratory=====
-Following the early 20th-century construction of Stockbridge Hall, the northeastern quadrant of the campus was devoted to the departments of engineering and the physical sciences. The laboratory complex, including Gunness Laboratory (1949), Marston Hall (1950), Paige Laboratory (1950), the Animal Isolation Laboratory (1953), and [[buildings:t:thayer|Thayer Animal Disease Laboratory]] (1957) were developed between 1949 and 1957 in the former agricultural fields to the north of [[buildings:d:draper|Draper Hall]]. The structure was originally sited adjacent to zone of military housing and a cottage, no longer extant. +Following the early 20th-century construction of Stockbridge Hall, the northeastern quadrant of the campus was devoted to the departments of engineering and the physical sciences. The laboratory complex, including [[g:gunness_hall|Gunness Laboratory]] (1949), [[m:marston_hall|Marston Hall]] (1950), Paige Laboratory (1950), the Animal Isolation Laboratory (1953), and [[t:thayer_laboratory|Thayer Animal Disease Laboratory]] (1957) were developed between 1949 and 1957 in the former agricultural fields to the north of [[d:draper_hall|Draper Hall]]. The structure was originally sited adjacent to zone of military housing and a cottage, no longer extant.
cc cc
-At the time of construction, the area immediately to the north of [[buildings:d:draper|Draper Hall]] was occupied by the North Parking Area (extant, reduced in size). Access to the complex was provided by a road that ran north from Olmsted Road along the west side of Paige Laboratory, turning east between Marston Hall and Gunness Laboratory. This road remains intact. Since the completion of the complex, Governor’s Drive was constructed to the north and new buildings have been constructed between the laboratory complex and the core of the campus. New buildings near the historic laboratories include Knowles Engineering Building (1991) to the south and Marcus Hall (1966) to the east. Together with Marston Hall, these buildings defined a new quadrangle to the south of the laboratory complex. +At the time of construction, the area immediately to the north of [[d:draper_hall|Draper Hall]] was occupied by the North Parking Area (extant, reduced in size). Access to the complex was provided by a road that ran north from Olmsted Road along the west side of Paige Laboratory, turning east between Marston Hall and Gunness Laboratory. This road remains intact. Since the completion of the complex, Governor’s Drive was constructed to the north and new buildings have been constructed between the laboratory complex and the core of the campus. New buildings near the historic laboratories include Knowles Engineering Building (1991) to the south and Marcus Hall (1966) to the east. Together with Marston Hall, these buildings defined a new quadrangle to the south of the laboratory complex.
-Historic photographs of Paige Laboratory show bituminous concrete walks leading to the building’s entrance with deciduous trees over mown lawn and minimal foundation planting at the building’s central entrance. The bituminous concrete walk remains along the southern side of the building and new shrubs have replaced the historic planting along the foundation at the southern side of the building. A 1959 campus map shows the area to the south of Paige Laboratory as open field, which is now occupied by an expansive bituminous concrete parking lot between Paige Laboratory and [[buildings:s:stockbridgehall|Stockbridge Hall]].+Historic photographs of Paige Laboratory show bituminous concrete walks leading to the building’s entrance with deciduous trees over mown lawn and minimal foundation planting at the building’s central entrance. The bituminous concrete walk remains along the southern side of the building and new shrubs have replaced the historic planting along the foundation at the southern side of the building. A 1959 campus map shows the area to the south of Paige Laboratory as open field, which is now occupied by an expansive bituminous concrete parking lot between Paige Laboratory and [[s:stockbridge_hall|Stockbridge Hall]].
Line 37: Line 37:
===== Naming of the building ===== ===== Naming of the building =====
-Paige Laboratory is the second building named in honor of James B. Paige (class of 1882), a Professor of Veterinary Science at MAC from 1889 to 1922.  In 1925, the building now known as [[buildings:m:munsonhall|Munson Hall]] was named after Paige, however the Trustees voted in June 1952 to rename that building after the retiring Director of the Extension Service Willard Munson.  +Paige Laboratory is the second building named in honor of James B. Paige (class of 1882), a Professor of Veterinary Science at MAC from 1889 to 1922.  In 1925, the building now known as [[m:munson_hall|Munson Hall]] was named after Paige, however the Trustees voted in June 1952 to rename that building after the retiring Director of the Extension Service Willard Munson. 
---- ----
p/paige_laboratory.1373540873.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA