Submitted by Gayle Sweeney, ’77
juice of one lemon
3 – 4 apples (can be different varieties)
about 1/2 cup of maple syrup to which a little orange juice has been added (a few drops)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
approx. 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Make crisp first. Combine whole wheat flour, melted butter, cinnamon and dark brown sugar til crumbly.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. grease an 8 by 8 pan. I use a glass pan.
3. Peel and cut apples. Toss with juice of one lemon.
4. Put apples in the pan and drizzle with 1/2 the maple syrup/orange juice mixture.
5. Top with crisp. Drizzle with rest of maple syrup/orange juice mixture.
6. Bake 20 – 25 minutes, watching carefully.
7. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.