Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

t:trolley_station 2013/07/11 06:54 t:trolley_station 2019/04/08 10:11 current
Line 9: Line 9:
<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> <html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003414.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003414.png" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0003414"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/500/murg150-i0003414-001.jpg" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005668.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005668.png" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0005668"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/500/murg150-i0005668-001.jpg" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station3.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station3.jpg" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station.jpg" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station2.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/trolley_station2.jpg" alt="Trolley Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>+
</div></html> </div></html>
Line 24: Line 21:
The Waiting Station Shelter was a one-story brick and cement Craftsman structure with a shallow-pitch hip roof that has roof brackets and is covered with asphalt shingles. The structure is an enclosed rectangular pavilion that is three bays wide and two bays deep, comprised of eight brick piers along the perimeter of the building. The perimeter wall between the brick piers consists of modern single-pane plastic windows above cement panel kneewalls. The windows have 5/4 applied grids. The sole entry, which is open and has no door, is located in the center of the three-bay east elevation, facing North Pleasant Street. The Waiting Station Shelter was a one-story brick and cement Craftsman structure with a shallow-pitch hip roof that has roof brackets and is covered with asphalt shingles. The structure is an enclosed rectangular pavilion that is three bays wide and two bays deep, comprised of eight brick piers along the perimeter of the building. The perimeter wall between the brick piers consists of modern single-pane plastic windows above cement panel kneewalls. The windows have 5/4 applied grids. The sole entry, which is open and has no door, is located in the center of the three-bay east elevation, facing North Pleasant Street.
-An illustrated postcard of the early 20th century indicates that the Waiting Station Shelter once had exposed rafter tails and 3/1 sash, or 3/1 fixed windows, above the cement panel kneewalls. These features no longer exist.  According to Joseph S. Larson, Professor Emeritus in the Department of Natural Resources Conservation, the former UMass Landscape Architect William Lambert considered the building to have been designed to be evocative of Japanese structures, in recognition of the Massachusetts Agricultural College’s longstanding connection to the Imperial College of Agriculture in Sapporo. This connection had been forged by MAC President [[people:c:clark_william_smith|William S. Clark]] in the 1870s. As late as the 1950s, the Waiting Station Shelter’s roof had an overhang extension, or sun shade device, in the form of several rails that ran parallel with the edge of the roof. When the overhang and other decorative details were removed as part of a building renovation during or after the 1950s, Mr. Lambert is believed to have salvaged a portion of the overhang in the hope that it might someday be reconstructed. It is unknown whether this salvaged section still exists.+An illustrated postcard of the early 20th century indicates that the Waiting Station Shelter once had exposed rafter tails and 3/1 sash, or 3/1 fixed windows, above the cement panel kneewalls. These features no longer exist.  According to Joseph S. Larson, Professor Emeritus in the Department of Natural Resources Conservation, the former UMass Landscape Architect William Lambert considered the building to have been designed to be evocative of Japanese structures, in recognition of the Massachusetts Agricultural College’s longstanding connection to the Imperial College of Agriculture in Sapporo. This connection had been forged by MAC President [[c:clark_william_smith|William S. Clark]] in the 1870s. As late as the 1950s, the Waiting Station Shelter’s roof had an overhang extension, or sun shade device, in the form of several rails that ran parallel with the edge of the roof. When the overhang and other decorative details were removed as part of a building renovation during or after the 1950s, Mr. Lambert is believed to have salvaged a portion of the overhang in the hope that it might someday be reconstructed. It is unknown whether this salvaged section still exists.
-At the time of its demolition, the Waiting Station Shelter was a stylistic anomaly when compared to other nearby buildings on the campus. Originally built at some distance from the rest of the campus buildings because of its function as a transportation center on the trolley line, the 1911 Craftsman building was surrounded on its north and east by University structures of much more recent dates and styles, specifically the [[buildings:h:hasbrouck|Hasbrouck Lab]] built in 1948 (with an annex of 1962-64) and the Morrill Science Center built in 1958 (with additions of the 1960s onwards).+At the time of its demolition, the Waiting Station Shelter was a stylistic anomaly when compared to other nearby buildings on the campus. Originally built at some distance from the rest of the campus buildings because of its function as a transportation center on the trolley line, the 1911 Craftsman building was surrounded on its north and east by University structures of much more recent dates and styles, specifically the [[h:hasbrouck_hall|Hasbrouck Lab]] built in 1948 (with an annex of 1962-64) and the [[m:morrill_science_center|Morrill Science Center]] built in 1958 (with additions of the 1960s onwards).
===== Landscape – Visual/Design Assessment ===== ===== Landscape – Visual/Design Assessment =====
Line 39: Line 36:
progressive for the period. progressive for the period.
-Trolley line companies went into decline in the 1920s and many eventually went out of business, as a result of automobile ownership becoming more affordable and widespread in the United States. The Massachusetts State College campus map of 1931 still labels the Waiting Station at the center of the map and features the trolley tracks on North Pleasant Street. However, by 1935, the campus map no longer shows the trolley tracks, although the Waiting Station remains on the map as a numbered building. By 1959, the campus map neither lists the Waiting Station Shelter nor shows the building’s footprint. In 2012 the shelter was demolished during the construction of the [[academic_classroom__building|New Academic Classroom Building]].+Trolley line companies went into decline in the 1920s and many eventually went out of business, as a result of automobile ownership becoming more affordable and widespread in the United States. The Massachusetts State College campus map of 1931 still labels the Waiting Station at the center of the map and features the trolley tracks on North Pleasant Street. However, by 1935, the campus map no longer shows the trolley tracks, although the Waiting Station remains on the map as a numbered building. By 1959, the campus map neither lists the Waiting Station Shelter nor shows the building’s footprint. In 2012 the shelter was demolished during the construction of the new Academic Classroom Building.
t/trolley_station.1373540093.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA