Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

s:stockbridge_house 2013/07/11 07:05 s:stockbridge_house 2015/09/24 11:39 current
Line 9: Line 9:
<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> <html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005480.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005480.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005480.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005480.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005481.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005481.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005481.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005481.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005489.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005489.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005489.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005489.png" alt="Stockbridge House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005488.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005488.png" alt="Stockbridge Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>+<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005488.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0005488.png" alt="Stockbridge Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
</div></html> </div></html>
Line 19: Line 19:
The history of the building begins with Samuel Boltwood, Jr., who built the house for his family on 111 acres that he purchased after the Deerfield Massacre of 1704.  It was the first house built in the the town of Amherst and was subsequently used as a blacksmith shop, a tavern, and a farmhouse by Amherst families with familiar names such as Cowls, Hastings, and Strong.  The history of the building begins with Samuel Boltwood, Jr., who built the house for his family on 111 acres that he purchased after the Deerfield Massacre of 1704.  It was the first house built in the the town of Amherst and was subsequently used as a blacksmith shop, a tavern, and a farmhouse by Amherst families with familiar names such as Cowls, Hastings, and Strong. 
-In 1864, Stockbridge House was bought buy the trustees as part of the first purchase of land for Massachusetts Agricultural College.  The house was subsequently occupied by college presidents [[people:f:french_henry_flagg|Henry Flagg French]], [[people:s:stockbridge_levi|Levi Stockbridge]], and ultimately, Sumner Dickinson, who lived there until 1914.  It was then badly neglected until 1934, when President [[people:b:baker_hugh_p|Hugh Baker]] had it restored. Together with the 1735 "Homestead," which was moved to the site from North Pleasant Street, the house has served as the Faculty (now University) Club since 1973.+In 1864, Stockbridge House was bought buy the trustees as part of the first purchase of land for Massachusetts Agricultural College.  The house was subsequently occupied by college presidents [[f:french_henry_flagg|Henry Flagg French]], [[s:stockbridge_levi|Levi Stockbridge]], and ultimately, Sumner Dickinson, who lived there until 1914.  It was then badly neglected until 1934, when President [[b:baker_hugh_p|Hugh Baker]] had it restored. Together with the 1735 "Homestead," which was moved to the site from North Pleasant Street, the house has served as the Faculty (now University) Club since 1973.
=====Architectural description===== =====Architectural description=====
Line 63: Line 63:
===== Naming of the building ===== ===== Naming of the building =====
-Stockbridge House is named in honor of [[people:s:stockbridge_levi|Levi Stockbridge]], its one time resident and former President of Massachusetts Agricultural College.+Stockbridge House is named in honor of [[s:stockbridge_levi|Levi Stockbridge]], its one time resident and former President of Massachusetts Agricultural College.
---- ----
s/stockbridge_house.1373540709.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA