Architects: Cambridge Seven Associates, Cambridge, Mass.
Design and construction
Cambridge Seven is known for spirited buildings such as the New England Aquarium in Boston and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. Characteristic of their work, the Knowles Engineering Building is a handsome three-story brick building housing lab space for faculty and graduate students, though no classrooms. The horizontal mass of the building is interrupted by turquoise and dark red brick banding which is laid in a pleasing relief pattern on the north and south faces of the building. Vertical glass vestibules extend the full height of the structure and highlight the east and west entrances. The turquoise accents harmonize with Marcus Hall to the east.
Naming of the building
The structure was named for Andrew C. Knowles III, former chair of the Board of Trustees and a 1957 graduate of the College of Engineering.
- From Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, 2000)
- For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).