Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

h:hamlin_house 2013/07/12 07:00 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======Hamlin House====== 
- 
-**Constructed**: 1949 
- 
-**Architects**: [[r:ross_louis_warren|Louis Warren Ross]] 
----- 
- 
-===== Design and construction ===== 
- 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> 
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003309.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003309.png" alt="Hamlin House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003308.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003308.png" alt="Hamlin House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004505.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004505.png" alt="Hamlin House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004506.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004506.png" alt="Hamlin House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
- 
-</div></html> 
- 
-Hamlin House is an approximately 35,000 square foot residential building on the Amherst campus of the University of Massachusetts. The building is one of ten structures that comprise the [[n:northeast_residential|Northeast Residential Area]]. These ten buildings were uniformly designed in neo-Georgian style between 1935 and 1959, and laid out in a bilaterally symmetrical site plan surrounding an open grassed area that is known as the Quad (quadrangle). Originally designed as dormitories, the group also includes [[k:knowlton_house|Knowlton House]], [[a:arnold_house|Arnold House]], [[c:crabtree_house|Crabtree House]], [[l:leach_house|Leach House]], Lyon House, Dwight House, [[t:thatcher_house|Thatcher House]], [[l:lewis_house|Lewis House]] and [[j:johnson_house|Johnson House]]. All continue to serve as dormitories in 2008, except for Arnold House, which was converted into offices in 1966.  
- 
-The main planning axis of the [[n:northeast_residential|Northeast Residential Area]] runs northeast-southwest, in a straight line between the central doors of Lewis House and Arnold House. This axis is the center line of the quadrangle’s bilateral symmetry, meaning that the building footprints and appearance of Hamlin, Leach, Dwight and Johnson Houses, located on the north side of the axis, are mirrored by the building footprints and appearance of Knowlton, Crabtree, Lyon and Thatcher Houses on the south side of the axis. The spatial relationship of Lewis House and Arnold House as the anchors of the planning axis is visually reinforced by the cupolas that top these two buildings.  
- 
-The L-shaped building is 4-stories with a basement level accessible to grade at the rear (east) elevation. The north wing is 8 bays wide by 3 bays deep with a gable roof. The south wing is 8 wings wide by 3 bays deep and also has a gable roof that forms a hip at the building’s northwest corner. The main building entrance occurs at the 3 central bays of the south wing’s west elevation. These bays project from the façade and are distinguished by a cross gable. This elevation also includes a 2-story wing with flat roof that serves as an accessible terrace. The terrace is bounded by a wrought-iron railing.  
- 
-The common-bond brick pattern is used throughout all elevations. A molded-brick water table defines the basement level and a brick beltcourse occurs at the second floor level. All windows are wood, as well as the cornice defining the roofline and the gable peaks. The façade includes a window pattern of primarily double-hung sash. The exposed basement through third floor levels of the building have 8/12 double-hung sash. The fourth floor has 8/8 sash. At the attic level, the gable ends are framed as pediments and contain circular radial pane windows with decorative brickwork. Copper downspouts with collector heads are still in place.  
- 
-The main building entrance features a granite staircase to access the raised first floor level. The doors are framed by a rusticated wood doorcase with pediment. The double wood doors have divided lights and a fixed transom. Above the pediment, the second floor bay has a wood-paneled window case. The secondary entrance at this elevation occurs at grade at an interfloor stair landing. It features a wood-paneled doorcase and is vertically reinforced at the upper bays with a large arched window and smaller fixed divided light beneath. 
- 
- 
-===== Naming of the building ===== 
- 
-Named in honor of Margaret Hamlin, Agricultural Counselor for Women in Stockbridge 1918-1934; first Placement Officer for Women 1934-1948.   
- 
----- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * From the Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/hamlin-25.pdf|Building Survey reports]] (2009). 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
- 
h/hamlin_house.1373626831.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA