Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

g:gunness_hall 2013/07/11 06:42 g:gunness_hall 2013/12/18 13:25 current
Line 24: Line 24:
=====Gunness Laboratory===== =====Gunness Laboratory=====
-Following the early 20th-century construction of [[buildings:s:stockbridgehall|Stockbridge Hall]], the northeastern quadrant of the campus was devoted to the departments of engineering and the physical sciences. The laboratory complex, including Gunness Laboratory (1949), [[buildings:m:marston|Marston Hall]] (1950), [[buildings:p:paige|Paige Laboratory]] (1950), the Animal Isolation Laboratory (1953), and [[buildings:t:thayer|Thayer Animal Disease Laboratory]] (1957) were developed between 1949 and 1957 in the former agricultural fields to the north of Draper Hall. At the time of construction, the area immediately to the north of Draper Hall was occupied by the North Parking Area (extant, reduced in size). Access to the complex was provided by a road that ran from Olmsted Road along the west side of Paige Laboratory, and east between Marston Hall and Gunness Laboratory. Governor’s Drive was constructed to the north of the complex following the completion of the buildings. +Following the early 20th-century construction of [[s:stockbridge_hall|Stockbridge Hall]], the northeastern quadrant of the campus was devoted to the departments of engineering and the physical sciences. The laboratory complex, including Gunness Laboratory (1949), [[m:marston_hall|Marston Hall]] (1950), [[p:paige_laboratory|Paige Laboratory]] (1950), the Animal Isolation Laboratory (1953), and [[t:thayer_laboratory|Thayer Animal Disease Laboratory]] (1957) were developed between 1949 and 1957 in the former agricultural fields to the north of Draper Hall. At the time of construction, the area immediately to the north of Draper Hall was occupied by the North Parking Area (extant, reduced in size). Access to the complex was provided by a road that ran from Olmsted Road along the west side of Paige Laboratory, and east between Marston Hall and Gunness Laboratory. Governor’s Drive was constructed to the north of the complex following the completion of the buildings.
Since the completion of the complex, the campus has grown with increased development between the core of the campus and the laboratory complex. New buildings that have impacted the complex include Knowles Engineering Building (1991) to the south and Marcus Hall (1966) to the east. Together with Marston Hall, these buildings defined a new quadrangle to the south of the laboratory complex. The Astronomy Building (1968), located to the north of Gunness Hall, has also impacted the landscape associated with Gunness Hall. Since the completion of the complex, the campus has grown with increased development between the core of the campus and the laboratory complex. New buildings that have impacted the complex include Knowles Engineering Building (1991) to the south and Marcus Hall (1966) to the east. Together with Marston Hall, these buildings defined a new quadrangle to the south of the laboratory complex. The Astronomy Building (1968), located to the north of Gunness Hall, has also impacted the landscape associated with Gunness Hall.
g/gunness_hall.1373539355.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA