Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

g:grinnell_arena 2013/07/11 06:42 g:grinnell_arena 2020/07/26 13:07 current
Line 9: Line 9:
<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> <html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003302.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003302.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0003302"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/325/murg150-i0003302-001.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003300.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003300.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0003300"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/325/murg150-i0003300-001.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003299.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003299.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0003299"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/325/murg150-i0003299-001.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004503.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004503.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>+<br /><a href="http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/murg150-i0004503"><img src="http://credo.library.umass.edu/images/resize/325/murg150-i0004503-001.png" alt="Grinnell Arena" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
</div></html> </div></html>
Line 28: Line 28:
=====Landscape – Visual/Design Assessment===== =====Landscape – Visual/Design Assessment=====
-Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House are located to the west of [[buildings:t:thompson|Thompson Hall]] and directly to the south of the 1894 [[buildings:h:horse_barn|Horse Barn]] on a site that slopes gently from east to west.+Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House are located to the west of [[t:thompson_hall|Thompson Hall]] and directly to the south of the 1894 [[h:horse_barn_1894|Horse Barn]] on a site that slopes gently from east to west.
=====Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House===== =====Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House=====
-Grinnell Arena was built in 1911 as an animal husbandry building livestock judging arena. The Abattoir Slaughter House was added to the west side of Grinnell Arena in 1929. Together, these two buildings represent a continuation of the Trustee’s commitment to upgrade the College’s physical plant with state-of-the-art agricultural and teaching facilities. Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House were built as part of the Brooks Barn Complex, a series of buildings that were intended to serve as the center of livestock husbandry for the College. Other buildings in this group include the extant 1894 [[buildings:h:horse_barn|Horse Barn]] (Building #166) and [[buildings:b:blaisdell|Blaisdell House]] (Building #38), as well as a number of no longer extant barns and ancillary structures. These demolished buildings included the farm hands dormitory/milker’s bungalow, the east cow stable and dairy complex, and a silage storage building. The Brooks Barn Complex continued to function as a center of livestock husbandry for the University into the 1960s when such agricultural operations were relocated to new facilities in East Deerfield, Massachusetts. The arena and abattoir now house facilities for the university's marching band.+Grinnell Arena was built in 1911 as an animal husbandry building livestock judging arena. The Abattoir Slaughter House was added to the west side of Grinnell Arena in 1929. Together, these two buildings represent a continuation of the Trustee’s commitment to upgrade the College’s physical plant with state-of-the-art agricultural and teaching facilities. Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House were built as part of the Brooks Barn Complex, a series of buildings that were intended to serve as the center of livestock husbandry for the College. Other buildings in this group include the extant 1894 [[h:horse_barn_1894|Horse Barn]] (Building #166) and [[b:blaisdell_house|Blaisdell House]] (Building #38), as well as a number of no longer extant barns and ancillary structures. These demolished buildings included the farm hands dormitory/milker’s bungalow, the east cow stable and dairy complex, and a silage storage building. The Brooks Barn Complex continued to function as a center of livestock husbandry for the University into the 1960s when such agricultural operations were relocated to new facilities in East Deerfield, Massachusetts. The arena and abattoir now house facilities for the university's marching band.
=====Landscape Analysis===== =====Landscape Analysis=====
-Grinnell Arena (1911) and the Abattoir Slaughter House (1929) were constructed along the south side of a road that ran from North College (no longer extant) to the west between the 1894 [[buildings:h:horse_barn|Horse Barn]] and Grinnell Arena. Historic plans show that the road widened to a forecourt between the Grinnell Arena and the 1894 Horse Barn. A 1943 plan shows trees lining the south side of the road (no longer extant). The western end of the complex is connected to the [[buildings:g:George N. Parks Minuteman Marching Band Building|George N. Parks Minuteman Marching Band Building]], which was completed in 2011. A bituminous concrete parking lot was added to the south of Abattoir Slaughter House following the building’s construction and has significantly changed the landscape context of the building. +Grinnell Arena (1911) and the Abattoir Slaughter House (1929) were constructed along the south side of a road that ran from North College (no longer extant) to the west between the 1894 [[h:horse_barn_1894|Horse Barn]] and Grinnell Arena. Historic plans show that the road widened to a forecourt between the Grinnell Arena and the 1894 Horse Barn. A 1943 plan shows trees lining the south side of the road (no longer extant). The western end of the complex is connected to the [[g:george_n_parks_building|George N. Parks Minuteman Marching Band Building]], which was completed in 2011. A bituminous concrete parking lot was added to the south of Abattoir Slaughter House following the building’s construction and has significantly changed the landscape context of the building.
=====Naming of the Building===== =====Naming of the Building=====
Line 44: Line 44:
==== Source ==== ==== Source ====
-  * From the Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/Grinnell Arena and Abattoir Slaughter House.pdf|Building Survey reports]] (2009).+  * From the Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://scua.library.umass.edu/digital/UMass_building_report.pdf|Building Survey reports]] (2009).
  * Facilities and Campus Planning Building Search [[http://fcp.facil.umass.edu/building/search.php|Building Search]] Accessed 9/20/2012   * Facilities and Campus Planning Building Search [[http://fcp.facil.umass.edu/building/search.php|Building Search]] Accessed 9/20/2012
g/grinnell_arena.1373539379.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA