Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

f:flint_laboratory 2013/07/11 06:39 f:flint_laboratory 2019/09/17 09:08 current
Line 7: Line 7:
===== Design and construction ===== ===== Design and construction =====
- 
<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> <html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;">
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004287.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004287.png" alt="Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004287.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004287.png" alt="Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004286.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004286.png" alt="Flint Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004286.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004286.png" alt="Flint Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004292.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004292.png" alt="Flint Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004292.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004292.png" alt="Flint Laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004295.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004295.png" alt="Interior, Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> +<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004295.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004295.png" alt="Interior, Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG160-0006615.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG160-0006615.png" alt="Making ice cream, Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>+<br /><a href="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG160-0006615.png"><img src="http://scua.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG160-0006615.png" alt="Making ice cream, Flint laboratory" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a>
</div></html> </div></html>
 +
Flint Laboratory is located southwest of Stockbridge Hall at the end of Campus Center Way. The building’s site slopes gradually down to the west towards Chenoweth. Primary access the building is provided by a set of concrete stairs on the east side of the building that connect to a bituminous concrete walkway. There are light poles along the sidewalk. On the south side of the building, the bituminous concrete walk transitions to a concrete walk. Between the sidewalk and building vegetation includes evergreen shrubs in a mulched bed. On the east side of the building landscaping is currently under construction, and includes deciduous trees and lawn. Flint Laboratory is located southwest of Stockbridge Hall at the end of Campus Center Way. The building’s site slopes gradually down to the west towards Chenoweth. Primary access the building is provided by a set of concrete stairs on the east side of the building that connect to a bituminous concrete walkway. There are light poles along the sidewalk. On the south side of the building, the bituminous concrete walk transitions to a concrete walk. Between the sidewalk and building vegetation includes evergreen shrubs in a mulched bed. On the east side of the building landscaping is currently under construction, and includes deciduous trees and lawn.
Line 46: Line 46:
West Experiment Station, East Experiment Station, Draper Hall, Flint Laboratory, Stockbridge Hall, and Goessman Laboratory were constructed between 1885 and 1922 along the north side of Olmsted Road. Although oriented in an irregular pattern today, historically, the buildings were organized along the northern portion of what used to be Olmsted Road, later Ellis Drive. Historically, Olmsted Road was a street-tree lined road that curved around the west side of the pond, connecting to North Pleasant Street at both its northern and southern ends. Olmsted Road was removed between 1959 and 1973. West Experiment Station, East Experiment Station, Draper Hall, Flint Laboratory, Stockbridge Hall, and Goessman Laboratory were constructed between 1885 and 1922 along the north side of Olmsted Road. Although oriented in an irregular pattern today, historically, the buildings were organized along the northern portion of what used to be Olmsted Road, later Ellis Drive. Historically, Olmsted Road was a street-tree lined road that curved around the west side of the pond, connecting to North Pleasant Street at both its northern and southern ends. Olmsted Road was removed between 1959 and 1973.
-To the southwest of the complex were Flint Road (now Campus Center Way) and a ravine that ran to the south of what is now Campus Center Way, draining the Campus Pond. The area to the southeast of the complex was historically open lawn leading to the Campus Pond with a few scattered deciduous trees and desire-line paths. A pedestrian walk led through the open lawn, connecting Draper Hall to the intersection of the cross-campus walk and North Pleasant Street. This walk is no longer extant, obstructed by the construction of the [[buildings:c:campuscenter|Lincoln Campus Center]]. The construction of [[buildings:h:hasbrouck|Hasbrouck Laboratory]] (1950) and addition (1963), [[buildings:s:student_union|Student Center]] (1957), and [[buildings:c:campuscenter|Lincoln Campus Center]] (1970) destroyed the visual connection between the Olmsted Road buildings and the Campus Pond. +To the southwest of the complex were Flint Road (now Campus Center Way) and a ravine that ran to the south of what is now Campus Center Way, draining the Campus Pond. The area to the southeast of the complex was historically open lawn leading to the Campus Pond with a few scattered deciduous trees and desire-line paths. A pedestrian walk led through the open lawn, connecting Draper Hall to the intersection of the cross-campus walk and North Pleasant Street. This walk is no longer extant, obstructed by the construction of the [[c:campus_center|Lincoln Campus Center]]. The construction of [[h:hasbrouck_hall|Hasbrouck Laboratory]] (1950) and addition (1963), [[s:student_union|Student Center]] (1957), and [[c:campus_center|Lincoln Campus Center]] (1970) destroyed the visual connection between the Olmsted Road buildings and the Campus Pond.
-Flint Laboratory and [[buildings:s:stockbridgehall|Stockbridge Hall]] were both constructed in 1912 along Olmsted Road to the west of Draper Hall. Historically, Flint Laboratory featured a foundation planting of deciduous shrubs and lawn. Stockbridge Hall featured a foundation planting of deciduous shrubs and two deciduous trees framing the building’s main entrance. Vegetation to the east of the buildings consisted of deciduous trees over lawn. The lawn area is presently dominated by bituminous concrete pedestrian walks and a vehicular turn-around at the end of Campus Center Way. The former field areas to the north of the buildings are presently occupied by a bituminous concrete parking lot. The loss of views of the Campus Pond, the loss of Olmsted Road, and the loss of historic vegetation patterns, primarily consisting of broad, open lawn with scattered deciduous trees has resulted in the diminished integrity of the landscape associated with Flint Laboratory.+Flint Laboratory and [[s:stockbridge_hall|Stockbridge Hall]] were both constructed in 1912 along Olmsted Road to the west of Draper Hall. Historically, Flint Laboratory featured a foundation planting of deciduous shrubs and lawn. Stockbridge Hall featured a foundation planting of deciduous shrubs and two deciduous trees framing the building’s main entrance. Vegetation to the east of the buildings consisted of deciduous trees over lawn. The lawn area is presently dominated by bituminous concrete pedestrian walks and a vehicular turn-around at the end of Campus Center Way. The former field areas to the north of the buildings are presently occupied by a bituminous concrete parking lot. The loss of views of the Campus Pond, the loss of Olmsted Road, and the loss of historic vegetation patterns, primarily consisting of broad, open lawn with scattered deciduous trees has resulted in the diminished integrity of the landscape associated with Flint Laboratory.
Line 58: Line 58:
==== Source ==== ==== Source ====
-  * From the Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/flint laboratory.pdf|Building Survey reports]] (2009).+  * From the Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://scua.library.umass.edu/archives/Flint Laboratory.pdf|Building Survey reports]] (2009).
  * A newspaper article on the construction of the building in the [[http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7V9HAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tf4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=5274,7121041&dq=massachusetts-agricultural-college+new-dairy-building&hl=en|Meriden Morning Record]]- August 21st, 1911.   * A newspaper article on the construction of the building in the [[http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7V9HAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tf4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=5274,7121041&dq=massachusetts-agricultural-college+new-dairy-building&hl=en|Meriden Morning Record]]- August 21st, 1911.
-  * See also the [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/umarmot/?p=897|papers of Charles L. Flint]]+  * See also the [[http://scua.library.umass.edu/umarmot/?p=897|papers of Charles L. Flint]]
f/flint_laboratory.1373539187.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA