Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

c:central_residential_area 2015/06/09 11:50 c:central_residential_area 2015/06/09 11:50 current
Line 5: Line 5:
Situated on the west face of the ridge that defined the eastern edge of the UMass campus, the Clark Hill development grew to be known as the Central Residential Area. The first building of this complex was [[b:butterfield_hall|Butterfield House]] which was constructed in 1940 to the design of architect [[r:ross_louis_warren|Louis Warren Ross]], a member of the College’s class of 1917. Ross remains the most prolific architect of the campus and was responsible for the design of more than twenty structures, including nearly all the dormitories constructed between 1935 and 1963. This body of work established the Georgian Revival style as a dominant tradition for the residential quadrangles of the campus. However, Ross’s later work for the school also includes the 1956 [[s:student_union|Student Union]], which was designed in a more contemporary modern style. Situated on the west face of the ridge that defined the eastern edge of the UMass campus, the Clark Hill development grew to be known as the Central Residential Area. The first building of this complex was [[b:butterfield_hall|Butterfield House]] which was constructed in 1940 to the design of architect [[r:ross_louis_warren|Louis Warren Ross]], a member of the College’s class of 1917. Ross remains the most prolific architect of the campus and was responsible for the design of more than twenty structures, including nearly all the dormitories constructed between 1935 and 1963. This body of work established the Georgian Revival style as a dominant tradition for the residential quadrangles of the campus. However, Ross’s later work for the school also includes the 1956 [[s:student_union|Student Union]], which was designed in a more contemporary modern style.
-The Central Residential Area was developed between 1940 and 1959 as a men’s dormitory complex. Buildings in this area included [[b:butterfield_hall|Butterfield House]] (1940), [[g:greenough_hall|Greenough House]] (1946), [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]] (1947), [[n:new_africa_hall|Mills House (New Africa House)]] (1948), [[b:brooks_hall|Brooks House]] (1949), [[b:baker_hall|Baker House]] (1952), [[v:van_meter_hall|Van Meter House]] (1957), and [[w:wheeler_hall|Wheeler House]] (1958). The buildings were laid-out in a Beaux-arts style plan with a central axis of symmetry and a distinctive hierarchy of spaces. +The Central Residential Area was developed between 1940 and 1959 as a men’s dormitory complex. Buildings in this area included [[b:butterfield_hall|Butterfield House]] (1940), [[g:greenough_hall|Greenough House]] (1946), [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]] (1947), [[n:new_africa_house|Mills House (New Africa House)]] (1948), [[b:brooks_hall|Brooks House]] (1949), [[b:baker_hall|Baker House]] (1952), [[v:van_meter_hall|Van Meter House]] (1957), and [[w:wheeler_hall|Wheeler House]] (1958). The buildings were laid-out in a Beaux-arts style plan with a central axis of symmetry and a distinctive hierarchy of spaces.
Greenough House and [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]] were constructed as a complex of two men’s dormitories to the north of Clark Hill Road at the intersection with President’s Hill Road (now Chancellor’s Way) in 1946 and 1947. A c.1948-49 campus map shows the two buildings set in a wooded area accessed by a winding pedestrian walk adjacent to Clark Hill Road (extant). The area surrounding the buildings is no longer as densely forested as the ca.1948-49 campus map implies. Historic images of the two buildings show upright evergreen shrubs framing the entrances along the eastern façade (extant, now mature at [[g:greenough_hall|Greenough House]]; no longer extant at [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]]). Greenough House and [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]] were constructed as a complex of two men’s dormitories to the north of Clark Hill Road at the intersection with President’s Hill Road (now Chancellor’s Way) in 1946 and 1947. A c.1948-49 campus map shows the two buildings set in a wooded area accessed by a winding pedestrian walk adjacent to Clark Hill Road (extant). The area surrounding the buildings is no longer as densely forested as the ca.1948-49 campus map implies. Historic images of the two buildings show upright evergreen shrubs framing the entrances along the eastern façade (extant, now mature at [[g:greenough_hall|Greenough House]]; no longer extant at [[c:chadbourne_hall|Chadbourne House]]).
c/central_residential_area.1433865029.txt.gz · Last modified: 2015/06/09 11:50 by rscox
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA