Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:w:westexperiment 2011/05/24 07:07 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======West Experiment Station====== 
- 
-**Constructed**: 1886-1887 
- 
-**Architects**: Emory A. Ellsworth, Holyoke, Mass. 
----- 
- 
-===== Design and construction ===== 
- 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> 
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004205.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004205.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004203.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004203.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004213.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004213.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004214.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004214.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-</div></html> 
- 
-The West Experiment Station is a small Victorian outpost that serves as a vivid reminder of the early days of the University, when agricultural experimentation was emphasized.  Its sharply pointed tower, porte cochere, and carved details in the Queen Anne style offer a pleasing counterpoint to its neighbor, the [[buildings:e:eastexperiment|East Experiment Station]], also designed by Ellsworth.  The brick-clad exterior of both buildings ties them together, providing a harmonious anchor to either side of North Pleasant Street.  
- 
-The origins of the Agricultural Experiment Station, the first in the United States associated with a state college, can be traced to 1878 when the College to support the research of professors such as [[people:c:clark_william_Smith|William Smith Clark]], [[people:s:stockbridge_levi|Levi Stockbridge]], and [[people:g:goessmann_charles|Charles Goessmann]].  The state legislature appropriated funds for experimentation in 1882 and the architect's plans were presented to a building committee headed by J.H. Demond three years later.  The federal Hatch Act of 1887 allocated $15,000 to build the West Experiment Station, which was originally located on the northern fringe of campus.  It was the first of the two state experiment stations (along with [[buildings:e:east_experiment|East Experiment Station]], constructed in 1889-1890) to be constructed on campus, and it still functions as the site of chemical, fertilizer, and plant and soil studies. 
- 
- 
----- 
- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * Norton, Paul F., //Amherst: A Guide to Its Architecture// (Amherst, 1975) 
-  * //Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst// (Amherst, 2000) 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
- 
buildings/w/westexperiment.1306235271.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA