Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:w:westexperiment 2010/04/01 12:57 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======West Experiment Station====== 
- 
-**Constructed**: 1886-1887 
- 
-**Architects**: Emory A. Ellsworth, Holyoke, Mass. 
----- 
- 
-===== Design and construction ===== 
- 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> 
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004205.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004205.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004203.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004203.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004213.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004213.png" alt="West Experiment Station" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-</div></html> 
- 
-The West Experiment Station is a small Victorian outpost that serves as a vivid reminder of the early days of the University, when agricultural experimentation was emphasized.  Its sharply pointed tower, porte cochere, and carved details in the Queen Anne style offer a pleasing counterpoint to its neighbor, the [[buildings:e:eastexperiment|East Experiment Station]], also designed by Ellsworth.  The brick-clad exterior of both buildings ties them together, providing a harmonious anchor to either side of North Pleasant Street.   
- 
-Designed to house chemical research, West Experiment Station was the first of the two state experiment stations to be constructed on campus, and today it still functions as the site of chemical, fertilizer, and plant and soil studies. 
- 
- 
----- 
- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * From //Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst// (Amherst, 2000) 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
- 
buildings/w/westexperiment.1270141024.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA