Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:m:munsonhall 2010/04/02 13:04 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======Munson Hall====== 
-**Constructed**: 1898 
- 
-**Architect**: Emory A. Ellsworth, Holyoke, Mass. 
- 
----- 
-===== Design and Construction ===== 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003363.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003363.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004844.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004844.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004843.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004843.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a></div></html> 
- 
-A two-story building in brick, with wood and brownstone trim, Munson Hall was originally built as a veterinary laboratory under the guidance of James B. Paige, for whom it was originally named.  The features of the building defy simple categorization, but include a porch with classical columns and heavy entablature molding under the roof. The paired semi-circular bays and hipped roof with a central dormer contribute to the symmetry of the building.  In later years, Munson Hall has housed the University's Communications and Marketing Division, including the //Campus Chronicle//, News Office, Publications, and //UMass Magazine//.   
- 
- 
-===== Naming of the building===== 
-In 1951, when a new veterinary pathology building was completed, what was then called [[buildings:p:paige|Paige Laboratory]] became the Center for Extension Service and was renamed in honor of Willard A. Munson, director of the Extension Service from 1926 to 1950. 
- 
----- 
- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * From //Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst// (Amherst, 2000) 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
buildings/m/munsonhall.1270227867.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA