Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:m:munsonhall 2010/02/01 15:37 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======Munson Hall====== 
-**Constructed**: 1898 
- 
-**Architect**: Emory A. Ellsworth, Holyoke, Mass. 
- 
----- 
-===== Design and Construction ===== 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003363.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003363.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004844.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004844.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004843.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004843.png" alt="Munson Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a></div></html> 
- 
-A two-story building in brick, with wood and brownstone trim, Munson Hall was originally built as a veterinary laboratory under the guidance of James B. Paige, for whom it was originally named.  The features of the building defy simple categorization, but include a porch with classical columns and heavy entablature molding under the roof. The paired semi-circular bays and hipped roof with a central dormer contribute to the symmetry of the building.  In later years, Munson Hall has housed the University's Communications and Marketing Division, including the //Campus Chronicle//, News Office, Publications, and //UMass Magazine//.   
- 
- 
-===== Naming of the building===== 
-In 1951, when a new veterinary pathology building was completed, what was then called Paige Laboratory became the Center for Extension Service and was renamed in honor of Willard A. Munson, director of the Extension Service from 1926 to 1950. 
- 
----- 
- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * From //Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst// (Amherst, 2000) 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
buildings/m/munsonhall.1265056677.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA