Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:m:montague 2011/05/26 16:33 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======Montague House====== 
- 
-**Constructed**: circa 1840 
- 
-**Architects**: Unknown 
----- 
- 
- 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"> 
-<a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse2.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse2.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse3.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse3.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse4.jpg"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montaguehouse4.jpg" alt="Montague House" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333; padding:5px;" /></a> 
-</div></html> 
- 
-===== Design and construction ===== 
- 
-Montague House is a 2½ story side gable Greek Revival wood frame structure with corner boards, a glass-enclosed front porch, 
-a large dormer with a pediment, and a 2½ story side gable rear ell. The main block is nine bays wide and six bays deep. The ell 
-is nine bays wide. Montague House has an asphalt shingle roof, clapboard siding, wood window sash and a granite foundation. 
-The enclosed stairway at the east end of the ell has a brick foundation. 
- 
-The main entry is in the building’s west elevation, within a glass-enclosed 1-story porch that spans the full width of the house. 
-The porch has four square Greek Revival posts, clapboard knee walls, and three six-pane fixed windows between each post. The 
-second story contains a central 6/6 window that has a more closely spaced pair of 6/6 windows on either side. The attic has a 
-front gable dormer, with a pediment and Greek Revival corner boards, which contains four 6/2 windows. The dormer has a small 
-3/2 window on its south and north elevations. 
- 
-The south elevation of the enclosed porch contains a nine-pane door that has a 2/3 window on either side. The first and second 
-stories of the main block’s south elevation each contain a 6/6 window near the west end of the elevation, and two more closely 
-spaced 6/6 windows near the east end of the elevation. The gable peak has a central 6/6 window. 
- 
-The rear ell’s south elevation has a deeply recessed porch that is overhung by the second story. This recessed section contains 
-two doors and four 6/6 windows. Located to the east of the recessed porch, the south elevation’s front wall has three evenly 
-spaced 6/6, 2/2 and 6/6 windows, followed by a portico with simple Roman Doric columns and a pediment. The door within this 
-portico has 2/2 panes in its upper half and a boarded-over panel in its lower half. The east end of the ell has a very narrow shed 
-roof addition that appears to enclose a stairway to the second story. 
- 
-The ell’s east elevation contains a 6/6 window in the second story, set above the slope of the stairway addition’s roof, and a 3/3 
-window in the gable peak. 
- 
-The stairway addition’s north elevation contains a 3/2 window in the first story and a 2/1 window in its second story. The ell’s 
-north elevation has a somewhat irregular window and door arrangement. On the first story, this consists of a small 3/3 window, a 
-slightly larger 2/2 window, six 6/6 windows, and a 6-panel door with 3/2 panes in its upper third. The main block’s north 
-elevation has an identical window arrangement to what is on its south elevation. The porch’s north elevation contains a doorway, 
-with two 6-pane fixed windows on the west side of the doorway. 
- 
-===== Montague House ===== 
-Montague House is a legacy structure that was conveyed with the land when the Massachusetts Agricultural College acquired 
-the farmland associated with this structure, which appears to have happened in 1923, based on the Facilities Department’s 
-records. No information has been discovered to date that documents the history of this property before it was acquired by MAC. 
- 
-===== Landscape Analysis ===== 
-Montague House (1923) is located outside the core of the campus and is not shown on historic campus maps or plans. No 
-historic photographs of the building have been located; however, based on campus building construction history it is evident that 
-the landscape associated with Montague House was significantly impacted by the construction of Marks Meadow Elementary 
-School (originally Furcolo Hall) immediately to the north of the house in 1962, with subsequent additions. Changes in 
-circulation patterns from residential scale vehicular and pedestrian circulation to institutional scale circulation has resulted in the 
-addition of bituminous concrete parking areas to the sough of the house and a vehicular turn-around at the eastern side of the 
-house. The scale of Marks Meadow Elementary School, located immediately to the north and east of Montague House, is 
-inconsistent with the scale of Montague House. 
- 
----- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
- 
-  * From Massachusetts Historical Commission, UMass Amherst [[http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/archives/montague house.pdf|Building Survey]] (2009). 
buildings/m/montague.1306442036.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA