Differences

This shows you the differences between the selected revision and the current version of the page.

buildings:h:herterhall 2010/02/01 15:15 — current
Line 1: Line 1:
-======Herter Hall====== 
- 
-**Constructed**: 1969 
- 
-**Architects**: Coletti Brothers, Boston, Mass. 
- 
----- 
-===== Design and Construction ===== 
- 
-<html><div style="float:right; padding-left:20px; padding-bottom:15px;"><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0002033.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0002033.png" alt="Herter Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003316.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0003316.png" alt="Herter Hall" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a> 
-<br /><a href="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004537.png"><img src="http://www.library.umass.edu/speccollimages/referenceimages/RG150-0004537.png" alt="Herter Hall under construction" style="width:220px; border:1px solid #333;" /></a></div></html> 
- 
-Coletti Brothers designed this modernist, Brutalist concrete building in two sections connected by a second floor walkway.  The longer section has two distinct facades: the more interesting west facade has a massing of concrete forms on the lower two floors and grid of windows on the upper five floors; the east facade is composed of seven floors of windows and presents a "window wall," contrasting with the concrete massing on the west. 
- 
-Herter Hall was built to accommodate the rapidly growing humanities departments, then housed in Bartlett Hall, a 1950s-era building to the northwest, to which Herter is connected by an underground passageway.  The language and [[h:history|history]] departments fill the long main section of Herter Hall, while the [[http://www.umass.edu/art/facilities/herter_gallery/|Herter Art Gallery]] and language labs occupy the annex.   
- 
-===== Naming of the building ===== 
-The building is named after Christian A. Herter, Massachusetts governor from 1953 through 1957. 
- 
----- 
- 
-==== Source ==== 
-  * From //Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst// (Amherst, 2000) 
-  * For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101). 
buildings/h/herterhall.1265055348.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA