This is an old revision of the document!


East Experiment Station

Constructed: 1889-1890

Architect: Emory A. Ellsworth, Holyoke, Mass.


East Experiment Station
East Experiment Station doorway
East Experiment Station greenhouses

Elegant arched windows and robust brownstone lintels are the defining features of the East Experiment Station. Built as a pair with the West Experiment Station, the building is characteristic of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, with its broad round arches, deep-set windows, and cavernous door openings set in a rusticated stone construction. Also of interest are the stained glass windows and playfully sculpted downspouts.

Originally intended to house facilities for the “microscopic investigation of parasites,” East Experiment Station contained a fully-equipped photographic studio with an ingenious overhead railroad system for transporting large plant specimens to the camera. In the 1890s, the Station had an attached shed, glass house, and ornate Victorian greenhouse that were later removed. The building has served as home for the Center for the Book and the University of Massachusetts Press.


Source

  • From Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, 2000)
  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
buildings/e/eastexperiment.1270141036.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA