This is an old revision of the document!

Dickinson Hall

Constructed: 1960

Architects: Clinton F. Goodwin

Design and construction

Dickinson Hall
Dickinson Hall
Dickinson Hall

Located in the west central section of campus, Dickinson Hall is low brick building with restrained ornamentation. Built to support both the Army and Air Force ROTC units on campus, Dickinson Hall originally housed twelve classrooms, administrative offices, supply rooms, and a rifle range. In an effort to be modern, the architects included modern lighting and heating, a “completely automatic inter office dial phone system,” and a console system by which music could be piped into any room in the building.

The architect, Clinton Goodwin, was a MAC alumnus in Landscape Architecture (1916) who also designed the Curry S. Hicks Physical Education Building and Goodell Hall.

Naming of the building

Dickinson Hall was dedicated on April 9, 1960, in memory of Capt. Walter Mason Dickinson. Born in the Marks Meadow homestead in Amherst on April 3, 1856, Dickinson entered the Massachusetts Agricultural College in September 1873, leaving after three years to accept an appointment to West Point. After serving in the west with the 4th U.S. Cavalry, Dickinson returned to MAC in 1891 to become Professor of Military Science. Joining the 17th Infantry in 1896, Dickinson served in Cuba during the Spanish American War and was killed in action at El Caney on July 2, 1898.


  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
buildings/d/dickinson.1307704425.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA