This is an old revision of the document!


Clark Hall

Constructed: 1907

Architects: Frank Irving Cooper or Cooper and Bailey, Boston, Mass.


Design and construction

Clark Hall
Clark Hall
Clark Hall
Clark Hall laboratories

The most significant features of this three story building are its full-height arched windows and heavy dentils under the eaves in a Renaissance Revival style. Clark Hall was designed and built with two main entrances to provide sweeping views of the surrounding landscape.

The building was originally used for science classes and research, in particular botany, and its first floor is still used for science labs. The generously proportioned windows on the second floor later led these rooms to be converted into painting studios.

Naming of the building

Clark Hall is named for William Smith Clark, scientist, teacher, and third president of Massachusetts Agricultural College. A member of the State Board of Agriculture and the House of Representatives, Clark was instrumental in obtaining the college charter. In the mid-1870s, he took a leave of absence from Mass Aggie to travel to Japan and help found Sapporo Agricultural College, now Hokkaido University. Upon bidding his Japanese students farewell, he uttered his famous words of encouragement, “Boys be ambitious.”


Source

  • From Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, 2000)
  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
buildings/c/clarkhall.1270225262.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA