This is an old revision of the document!


Brooks Farm Complex

The Massachusetts Agricultural College stock facilities were originally located at a farm complex that stood in the south central area of the core campus, in the vicinity of the current location of Herter Hall and the Whitmore administration building.

In 1890, an outbreak of tuberculosis in the college cattle herd prompted the college to build a new stock facility just to the south and west of the small ravine of Tan Brook, where it runs west after leaving the campus pond (just south and west of the present-day Campus Center Parking Garage, Thompson Hall, and Grinnell arena.

buildings/b/brooks_farm_complex.1327503014.txt.gz · Last modified: 2013/12/18 13:25 (external edit)
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA