SCUA

Young Women’s City Club (Northhampton, Mass.)

Young Women's City Club Records, 1931-1981.

2 boxes (0.75 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 045

Known as Girl’s City Club until 1954, the Young Women’s City Club was a non-sectarian, self-governing, and largely self-supporting club in Northampton, Massachusetts, that developed educational and recreational opportunities for young women through programs, social events, volunteer services, and fund-raising activities. The club met regularly under the auspices of the People’s Institute until November 1979 when their rooms at James House were taken over by the Highland Valley Elder Service and the club relocated to the People’s Institute.

The records of the Young Women’s City Club document the growth and activities of the club from 1939 to 1981, with the exception of the decade 1961 to 1971. Consisting of photocopies of originals still held by the People’s Institute, the collection includes minutes of council and business meetings and scrapbook pages.

Biographical Note

The Young Women’s City Club, Northampton, Massachusetts (YWCC), known as Girl’s City Club until 1954 was an organization intended for women 16 years and older, was non-sectarian, self-governing, and largely self-supporting. It operated under the guidance of an Executive Secretary selected by the Board of Trustees of the People’s Institute and a council board elected by and from club members.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The records of the Young Women’s City Club, Northampton, Massachusetts (YWCC), known as Girl’s City Club until 1954, document the club’s activities between 1939 and 1981, with the exception of the decade 1961 to 1971. The purpose of the club, founded in 1926, to develop educational and recreational opportunities for young women in Northampton, was carried out in programs (lectures, slide shows, music, book reviews); lessons (in cooking, crafts, parliamentary law, child psychology); social events (teas, dinners, dances, holiday parties); and volunteer services and fund raising activities.

The club met regularly, under the auspices of the People’s Institute, at James House until November 1979 when their rooms were taken over by the Highland Valley Elder Service and the club moved to rooms in the People’s Institute.

The records here are photocopies of material still held by People’s Institute. They include minutes 1939-56 and 1972-1981, as well as pages from scrapbooks for 1938-1939 and 1954-1960.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

The collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

Cite as: Young Women’s City Club Records (MS 45). Special Collections and University Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

History of the Collection

Acquired photocopies with permission from Margaret Hutchins, People’s Institute, 1985.

Processing Information

Processed by Linda Seidman, May 1985.


Additional Information

Sponsor
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Language
English.


Contents List
Council and business meeting minutes
1939-1956, 1972-1981
Box 1
Scrapbook pages
1938-1939, 1954-1960
Box 2

Subjects

  • Women--Societies and clubs--Massachusetts

Contributors

  • Young Women's City Club (Northampton, Mass.)
Special Collections and University Archives logo