Transfer of archival recordsSCUA
Instructions for transferring departmental records to the University Archives
To transfer records to the archives and facilitate their retrieval as required, please keep the following in mind:
- Verify that the records you wish to transfer are no longer needed for regular operations in your department. Remove and destroy any duplicate or redundant files as well as those not scheduled for retention.
- In general, retain the last three years of records in-house before transfer to archives.
- Rehouse the records to be transferred, retaining the current file order, into banker boxes which we provide.
- Create an inventory of the records using the transfer form (excel) we provide and label the corresponding boxes using the box labels template (MS Word).
- To assist in accurate identification and retrieval, please keep file names clear, concise, and memorable.
- Note any restrictions on access to the files being transferred and if any records are scheduled for future destruction, please note carefully which records are to be destroyed and when.
- Schedule a time for pick up: email or call (413-545-2780) the Archives, allowing 2-3 business days.
- Upon receipt of the materials at the Archives, we will acknowledge receipt for your records and provide you with an accession number for future reference.
- Make three copies of form: two for us to take away and one for you: your copy serves as a record of transfer and a guide for future access.
Is this your first time transferring records to the archives?
Email or call (413-545-2780) us for a consultation. We will survey your records, discuss best practices for caring for your files, and review the transfer process.
How can you retrieve items that have been sent to the archives?
Email or call (413-545-2780) us with the following information: accession number, Record Group (RG) number, Box number, and folder title. We will retrieve requested materials and deliver them, typically within 2-3 business days.