Labor Collection, 1908-1988.
1 box (0.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 328
Chance and geography conspired early in the history of New England to lay a foundation for both industrialization and the rise of organized labor.
The Labor Collection includes miscellaneous manuscripts relating to organized labor, such as by-laws, reports, and agreements of Massachusetts locals of IUE, IBEW, Cigarmakers International, Bricklayers, and Retail Clerks among others.
- Labor unions--Massachusetts
Digital (+)Finding aid
Coralie Guertin Lajoie Collection, 1950-1951.
4 folders (0.1 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 637 bd
When Capt. Henry Guertin, a native of Leominster, Mass., was ordered to active duty with the 24th Infantry Division during the Korean War, his wife Rita relocated to Japan to raise their growing family in Kokura (Kyushu), Japan. Just 13 at the time and already used to the regular relocation of a military life, the eldest daughter, Coralie Ann (“Coco”) spent the next two years attending the Kokura Dependent School. As an adult, Coco married golf pro Ray Lajoie and settled in central Massachusetts.
The collection contains ephemera and photographs from young Coco Lajoie’s two-year sojourn on Kyushu. These include a copy of her school yearbook for 1951, a bill for a folk dance performance, and a series of letters from Japanese schoolchildren she met on a visit.
- Japan--Description and travel
Types of material
Lake Pleasant (Mass.) Collections, ca.1885-1975.
4 boxes (2 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 914
Independent Order of Scalpers club, ca.1900
One of five villages comprising the western Massachusetts town of Montague, Lake Pleasant was founded by the New England Spiritualist Campmeeting Association in 1870 as a rustic summer resort. Formally incorporated in 1879 under the guidance of Henry A. Buddington and Joseph Beals, Lake Pleasant grew into a community of nearly 200 small cottages, hotels, train station, and a Spiritualist temple on the edge of a serene lake, with a high-season population approaching 2,000. The village began a slow decline in fortunes after a disastrous fire in 1907, but retains its small cottage feel to the present.
The collection includes an assortment of materials relating to the history of Lake Pleasant, including over forty 8×10 glass plate negatives taken by local photographer George L. Scott (ca.1900-1907), other assorted photographs (ca.1885-1905), deeds to village properties, publications, and materials relating to the Lake Pleasant Water Commission. The collection also includes a handful of other images taken by Scott from elsewhere in Franklin County.
- Fires--Massachusetts--Lake Pleasant--Photographs
- Lake Pleasant (Mass.)--History
- Lake Pleasant (Mass.)--Photographs
- Summer resorts--Massachusetts
- Scott, George L., 1868-1952
Types of material
- Glass plate negatives
Rocco and Barbara Verrilli Collection of Charles Lamb, 1741-1932 (Bulk: 1798-1834).
1 box, 79 volumes (13 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 939
A poet, critic, and essayist, and close friend of Coleridge and Wordsworth, Charles Lamb was a popular figure in literary circles in late Georgian Britain. Born in London in 1775, Lamb began working in the accounting office of the British East India Company at the age of seventeen. Despite struggling with mental illness in his family, he built a reputation as a writer. With an elegant, eccentric, and somewhat antiquated style, he became known first for his poetry, but soon gained notice for prose and criticism. Written with his sister Mary, Tales from Shakespeare (1808) achieved notable success, however Lamb’s fame rests primarily on the essays he wrote during the 1820s under the pseudonym Elia. Lamb died from erysipelas on Dec. 29, 1833.
From the 1960s through 2010s, Rocco and Barbara Verrilli built this extensive collection of first and early editions of Charles Lamb’s writing. Among the volumes they acquired are Lamb’s personal copy of his first publication, Poems on Various Subjects; a rare copy of his first book for children King and Queen of Hearts (1806); and a presentation copy of his best known work, Elia (1823). The twenty-five manuscript items in the collection are particularly noteworthy. Displaying a characteristic combination of charm, wit, and insight, these include a long letter to Robert Southey discussing poetry; humorous letters to his admirer John B. Dibdin; an acrostic by Lamb on the name of Sarah Thomas; and two particularly fine letters to the poet Edward Dyer, including an eye-witness account of the agricultural rebellion known as the Swing Riots.
- Authors, English--19th century
- Poets--Great Britain
- Verrilli, Barbara
- Verrilli, Rocco
R.N. Lambert Ledger, 1829-1834.
1 vol. (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 256 bd
Physician who practiced in Upton, Massachusetts. Ledger includes two-column account entries mentioning the services he performed (such as the extraction of teeth, vaccination, and childbirth), the medicines he prescribed, and patients’ (primarily women and families) accounts, which were often settled in cash or promissory notes. Also contains notation of his work presumably for the town’s poor and a loose livery stable bill.
- Bradish family
- Childbirth--Massachusetts--History--19th century
- Fisk family
- Phlebotomy--Massachusetts--History--19th century
- Physicians--Massachusetts--19th century
- Physicians--Massachusetts--Upton--Economic conditions--19th century
- Poor--Medical care--Massachusetts--Upton--History--19th century
- Putnam family
- Rockwood family
- Teeth--Extraction--Massachusetts--History--19th century
- Therapeutics--Massachusetts--History--19th century
- Upton (Mass.)--Economic conditions--19th century
- Vaccination--Massachusetts--History--19th century
Types of material
Lamson and Goodnow Records, 1837-1911.
23 boxes, 14 vols. (38 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 662
In 1834, Silas Lamson devised a curved snath that greatly improved the efficiency of the scythe, and riding the commercial success of his invention, Lamson, his sons Ebenezer and Nathaniel, and partner Abel Goodnow, founded the manufacturing firm of Lamson and Goodnow in Shelburne Falls, Mass., in 1837. Early in its history, Lamson and Goodnow recruited skilled workers from cutlery centers in England and Germany and began manufacturing the high quality knives and tableware that have remained the center of their production ever since. The firm was a major contributor to the region’s transformation from a primarily agricultural to an industrial economy, and by the time of the Civil War, they helped establish the Connecticut River Valley had emerged as the center of American cutlery production. At vartious points during their history, Lamson and Goodnow have been involved in the manufacture of arms (e.g. the Springfield Rifle), sewing machines, agricultural implements, and other tools. They remain active in the production of cutlery, trade tools, and kitchenware.
The Lamson and Goodnow records contain relatively dense documentation of a major manufacturer of cutlery and agricultural implements from roughly the time of its founding in 1837 through shortly after the turn of the twentieth century. In addition to account books, records of orders, sales, and production, and a dizzying array of canceled checks, receipts, and trade cards, the collection includes correspondence from field agents and customers that document the growth of the company during the first 75 years of its operation.
- Cutlery trade--Massachusetts
- Shelburne Falls (Mass.)--History
Types of material
Mary G. and Edward R. Landon Letters, 1836-1841.
1 file (0.1 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 038 bd
A native of Guilford, Conn., Edward Ruggles Landon emigrated to the Michigan Territory after graduating from Yale (1833) and receiving legal training in a New Haven law office. His time in the west, however, would prove difficult. Settling first in Detroit and then Tecumseh, Landon bore the full brunt of financial hardship, and after marrying in 1837 and losing both his wife and infant son the next year, he returned home to Guilford. Landon went on to enjoy a prominent career as attorney and judge of the New Haven County Probate Court.
The Landon collection consists entirely of typed transcripts of letters written by Mary Griswold Landon to her son Edward, during the few years he spent in Michigan. Filled with news of day to day life in Guilford, family and friends, domestic duties, financial challenges, and the occasional intervention of politics and national affairs, the letters are both a reflection of Edward’s experiences in the west and Mary’s strong personality and attitudes toward family and life in nineteenth-century Connecticut.
- Guilford (Conn.)--History
- Landon, Anna Theodora Lay, 1817-1838
- Lawyers--Michigan--19th century
- Landon, Edward Ruggles, 1812-1883
- Landon, Mary Griswold, 1786-1871
Types of material
Marshall O. Lanphear Papers, 1917-1969.
2 boxes (1 linear feet).
Call no.: FS 075
Marshall O. Lanphear spent forty-five years at Massachusetts Agricultural College, earning his B.A in 1918 and a Master’s in 1926, after which he taught agronomy and served as college registrar. After service as an infantryman at the end of the first World War, Lanphear worked briefly as an instructor at the Mount Hermon School before returning to MAC for graduate study. Known to his colleagues as “Whitey,” he taught courses on farm management, dairying, and pomology and on his retirement, Lanphear was awarded an honorary doctorate of humane letters. He died on April 24, 1993 at the age of 98.
The Marshall O. Lanphear Papers include a number of his published articles, correspondence regarding his honorary degree, speeches, lecture notes and personal items including illustrated Christmas cards from 1915, his 1917 driver’s license, and correspondence related to his retirement. There is also a folder of business records from the college farm.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst--Faculty
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. Registrar
Aubrey D. Lapolice Collection, 1910-1981.
1 box (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: PH 070
Born in Chicopee Falls, Mass., Aubrey D. Lapolice (1893-1981) was a maintenance superintendent at the Belchertown State School for a forty year period, from the time of its establishment through his retirement in 1961. A veteran of the First World War, he oversaw a campus of nearly 850 acres and a physical plant of nearly one hundred buildings and structures. He died in February 1981.
The Lapolice collection includes 35 images of the physical plant and construction projects at the Belchertown State School during its first two decades of operation and 21 images of the welcome home parade in Belchertown in 1946 for returning American troops.
- Belchertown State School--Photographs
- Construction projects--Massachusetts--Belchertown--Photographs
- Hampden Railroad--Photographs
- Mentally disabled--Massachusetts--Belchertown
- Psychiatric hospitals--Massachusetts--Belchertown--Photographs
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans
Types of material
Mary W. Lauman Papers, 1944-1945.
1 box (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 534
Mary W. Lauman, a 1937 graduate of Cornell University, served in the United States Marine Corps from March 1944 through December 1945. During her 10 months of active duty, Mary wrote numerous letters to her mother detailing her everyday life from boot camp in Lejeune, North Carolina, to her work with the United States Army Personnel Department.
The Lauman letters contain interesting insights into the life of a woman Marine during World War II, including behavior, dress, and social interactions.
- Camp Lejeune (N.C.)
- Women marines
- World War, 1939-1945--Women