In the late 1850s and early 1860s, the pioneering British photographer Walter Woodbury captured images of Java, and especially its capital city Batavia (modern day Jakarta). Working in partnership with James Page, the two established a photographic firm that continued to produce and sell images long after Woodbury’s return to England in 1863.
Consisting of 42 albumen prints, the Woodbury Collection includes numerous images of the landscape and colonial buildings in Batavia, Buitenzorg (Bogor), and Surabaya. A few photographs capture images of the European community in Java, and local Javanese residents.
- Bogor (Indonesia)--Photographs
- Jakarta (Indonesia)--Photographs
- Java (Indonesia)--Photographs
- Surabaya (Indonesia)--Photographs
- Woodbury & Page
- Woodbury, Walter B. (Walter Bentley), 1834-1885
Types of material
- Albumen prints