Elisha L. Buffington Diaries, 1894 July-Dec..
Call no.: MS 711 bd
A twenty year-old from Swansea, Mass., Elisha L. Buffington took a grand tour of Asia with his uncle Elisha D. Buffington and aunt Charlotte in 1894. Spending two months in Japan, the Buffingtons traveled through China and the Subcontinent, visiting the usual cultural and historic sites as well as more unusual voyages to the Himalayas.
Written carefully in two volumes (ca.381p.), Elisha L. Buffington’s diaries record the impressions of a twenty year-old from Swansea, Mass., during his first voyage to Asia. Although the diaries do not cover the entire trip, they record details of two months spent in Japan, including an eyewitness account of the Meiji earthquake in Tokyo, and interesting visits to Shanghai and Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and India. The diary ends on December 27, 1894, when the Buffingtons were at Delhi.
- Buffington, Charlotte Walker
- Buffington, Elisha D
- Canada--Description and travel
- China--Description and travel
- India--Description and travel
- Japan--Description and travel
- Japan--Social life and customs--1868-1912
- Singapore--Description and travel
- Sri Lanka--Description and travel
- Buffington, Elisha L
Types of material