Arvo A. Solander Papers, 1930-1958.
8 boxes (4 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 587
Graduating from Harvard in the thick of the Great Depression, Arvo A. Solander worked as a civil and sanitary engineer for a variety of state and federal agencies, including the Civil Works Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps. During the 1930s, as opportunity arose, he filled positions as a road engineer, in the design and construction of water and sewage plants, in pollution control, as a safety engineer in the shellfish industry, and in mosquito control, taking jobs throughout Massachusetts and as far away as Tennessee. After using his talents as an officer in the Sanitary Corps during the Second World War, based primarily in Arkansas, Solander returned home to Massachusetts and opened a private engineering office in South Hadley. He worked as a civil engineer and surveyor until his death in January 1976.
The Arvo Solander Papers consists of twenty-four bound volumes documenting thirty years of varied work as an engineer, including his contributions to the construction of the Quabbin Reservoir. Within the bound volumes are a wide range of reports, typescripts, sketches and diagrams, graphs, contracts and design specifications, photographs, and postcards.
- Civil engineers
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- Quabbin Reservoir (Mass.)
- Roads--Design and construction
- Sanitary engineers
- Sewage disposal plants--Design and construction
- United States. Federal Civil Works Administration
- Westfield State Sanatorium
- World War, 1939-1945
- Wrentham State School
Types of material
Western Massachusetts Health Planning Council Records, ca.1960-1988.
46 boxes (23 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 270
Records of the Western Massachusetts Health Planning Council consist of health system plans, determination of need reports, and subjects files realting to various regional hospital and health care facilities.
- Public health--Massachusetts
- Western Massachusetts Health Planning Council
University of Massachusetts Amherst. Administrative Services
Administrative Services at UMass Amherst coordinates a range of important functions, including finance and the budget, auxiliary services, environmental health and safety, human resources, housing administration, and facilities and campus services.
Record Group 35 includes summary information on institutional finances, along with general information on other administrative activities. Detailed financial records, personnel records, and related materials are maintained by units within Administrative Services.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. Administrative Services
University of Massachusetts Amherst. Campus Center and Student Union
The Murray D. Lincoln Campus Center and Student Union is one of the hubs of undergraduate life at UMass Amherst, offering a range of facilities and services to the university community. In addition to the Campus Center Hotel and rooms for meetings, conferences, conventions, and special events, the Campus Center houses UMass Catering Services, retail food outlets, student cooperative businesses, administrative offices, and the University Store. The Student Union houses student organizations and other stores and food outlets.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. Murray D. Lincoln Campus Center
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. Student Union
University of Massachusetts Amherst. College of Engineering, 1938-2007.
(17 linear feet).
Call no.: RG 014
As early as 1867, Massachusetts Agricultural College offered engineering courses in surveying and the construction of roads and bridges — practical skills that would be valuable to farmers. After the establishment of a separate Department of Agricultural Engineering in 1914, and merger with the Department of Mathematics and Civil Engineering in 1938, UMass began to offer broader education in engineering. The Division of Engineering was created in 1945 to coordinate the expected post-war expansion. Since 1985, the College of Engineering has been organized in four academic departments: Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
This record group documents the varied efforts to provide an applied technical education to students at UMass and its predecessors. In addition to the College’s annual reports and records of the Executive Council and Engineering Research Council; curriculum and program materials; reports and publications; the record group includes materials from the first four deans of the College of Engineering.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. College of Engineering
University of Massachusetts Amherst. Photographs, ca.1867-2007.
The archives of UMass Amherst contain tens of thousands of formal and informal photographic images of the campus community from its founding in the 1860s to the present. The collections have been organized into over twenty discrete series. Digitized version of approximately 13,000 of images are available online.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
Types of material
University of Massachusetts Amherst. Research and Graduate Studies, 1984-2007.
(1 linear feet).
Call no.: RG 009
The record group includes publications, organizational charts, and files from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Graduate students--Massachusetts
- University of Massachusetts Amherst. Graduate School
Amherst Community Association Records, 1939-1978.
5 boxes (2 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 050
Contains bylaws, incorporation papers, minutes, budgets, reports, and correspondence relating to the administration and fundraising activities of the Amherst Community Association, including the Community Chest fund drive. Also included are budget proposals and agency profiles documenting organizations such as the Amherst Boys Club and Girls Club, Children’s Aid and Family Service, Hampshire County Association for Retarded Citizens and Camp Anderson.
- Amherst (Mass.)--History
- Camp Anderson
- Social service--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Amherst Boys' Club (Amherst, Mass.)
- Amherst Community Association (Amherst, Mass.)
- Amherst Girls' Club (Amherst, Mass.)
- Children's Aid and Family Service of Hampshire County (Hampshire County, Mass.)
- Hampshire County Association for Retarded Citizens (Hampshire County, Mass.)
- Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
Amherst Disarmament Coalition Collection, 1979-1987..
1 box (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 165
Vigil for Peace and Justice group that peacefully protested the Vietnam War, nuclear weapons, and government policy in Central America and the Middle East by organizing a weekly vigil in downtown Amherst, Massachusetts. Includes handouts and news clippings.
- Amherst (Mass.)--Social conditions--20th century
- Anti-imperialist movements--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Antinuclear movement--Massachusetts
- Nuclear Moratorium Vigil (Amherst, Mass.)
- Peace movements--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Social movements--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Vigil for Peace and Justice (Amherst, Mass.)
- Amherst Disarmament Coalition (Amherst, Mass.)
- Crowe, Frances, 1919-
Types of material
Boston & Albany Railroad Engineering Department Map Collection, 1833-1920.
Call no.: MS 130
The Boston and Albany Railroad was formed between 1867 and 1870 from the merger of three existing lines, the Boston and Worcester (chartered 1831), the Western (1833), and the Castleton and West Stockbridge (1834). The corporation was a primary east-west transit through the Commonwealth, with branches connecting towns including Athol, Ware, North Adams, and Hudson, N.Y.
The nineteen atlases comprising this collection include detailed plans documenting the location and ownership of rights of way, land-takings, and other land transfers to or from the railroad company. Dating from the early years of operation for the corporation to just after the turn of the century, the atlases include maps of predecessor lines (Boston and Worcester Railroad Corporation and Western Rail-Road), as well as the Grand Junction Railway Company (Charlestown, Somerville, Everett, and Chelsea), the Ware River Railroad, and the Chester and Becket Railroad.
- Boston and Albany Railroad Co.--Maps
- Boston and Worcester Railroad Corporation--Maps
- Chester and Becket Railroad--Maps
- Grand Junction Railway Company--Maps
- Real property--Massachusetts--Maps
- Ware River Railroad--Maps
- Western Rail-Road Corporation--Maps
- Boston & Albany Railroad Company. Engineering Department
Types of material