Watson Freeman Collection Relating to the 1860 Census, 1859-1863.
Call no.: MS 281
U.S. Marshal of Massachusetts in charge of collecting the census for his judicial district in 1860. Includes petitions, letters of introduction and applications to him from prospective enumerators, list of assistants and their signed oaths, census returns, related correspondence, and certificates of receipt from the marshal’s office. Also contains letters from Joseph C.G. Kennedy to Freeman, an instruction book for assistants, the marshal’s oath, and a receipt for a set of returns from the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Census records
- Employee selection--Massachusetts--History
- Employment references--Massachusetts
- Job applications
- United States--Census, 8th, 1860
- United States. Census Office--Officials and employees --Massachusetts--History
- Freeman, Watson
- Kennedy, J. C. G. (Joseph Camp Griffith), 1813-1887