Using the collections
The collections held by Special Collections and University Archives are available at no cost to all researchers, regardless of affiliation.
In the reading room
- How do I begin?
- On your first visit, you will be asked to register and to provide name, institutional affiliation (when applicable), and current address, and to present a valid form of identification including a photograph
- On each subsequent visit, you must sign in and out at the front desk
- Upon leaving for the day, please notify the staff whether you are finished with your material or wish to place it on hold for a return visit
- What may I bring into the reading room?
- Pencil and paper, laptops, cellphones, and usb drives are all permitted: lockers are available to store anything else
- Cell phones should be switched off or set to silent mode; calls may be taken in the adjacent elevator lobby
- Smoking, food, and drink are not permitted
- Care and handling of materials
- Please use care in handling manuscripts and books to prevent damage
- Use only a single box of manuscript or archival material at a time and preserve the existing arrangement of the files
- You may photograph items for research purposes; please check with a staff member first
- Scans and photocopies are made only by staff members in keeping with our copying policies