Class of 1889 in front of Durfee Greenhouse
Marking the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the University of Massachusetts, the Department of Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) is conducting an oral history project to capture the many voices and diverse experiences that make up our campus community. The anniversary presents an opportunity to reflect on the real achievements — and real challenges — of public higher education over the past century and a half, and a chance to consider where we would like to be in the future.
Over the course of eighteen months, the staff of SCUA and our associates will conduct one hundred and fifty interviews with an array of administrators, faculty, students, alumni, and university employees, as well as selected members of the local community. As they are completed, the interviews will be made available to the public through this website and Credo, SCUA’s digital repository.
If you are interested in participating in the project, please contact the SCUA staff.
People's Institute Records, 1896-1970.
2 boxes (0.75 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 026
Organization in Northampton, Massachusetts that met in members’ homes for the purpose of helping working people spend their evenings in valuable reading and discussion, and for furthering the culture of the home as well as the individual. The organization also sponsored flower garden competitions, an evening school for adults, a school for the household arts, an after school play program for children, a Golden Age club, and a day camp. Photocopied records include Board of Directors minutes, Directors’ reports, and correspondence.
- Northampton (Mass.)--Intellectual life--History
- Working class--Massachusetts--Northampton--Intellectual life--History
- Working class--Massachusetts--Northampton--Societies, etc. --History
- Home Culture Club (Northampton, Mass.)
- People's Institute (Northampton, Mass.)
Types of material
- Letters (Correspondence)
Polish Women's Club of Three Rivers Records, 1924-1994.
3 boxes (1.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 391
Polish-American women’s club located near Palmer, Massachusetts, that aims to encourage Polish women to become United States citizens and provide them with classes in the English language; to take an active part in local, state and federal politics; to support local Polish-owned businesses; to preserve and integrate Polish culture with those of other ethnicities present in the United States; to encourage higher education in the Polish-American community.
Includes meeting minutes (primarily in Polish), histories, anniversary programs, town and state citations, and government publications, documenting the activities, membership, and national recognition of the club over a period of seventy years.
- Americanization--History--20th century
- Palmer (Mass.)--Ethnic relations--20th century
- Palmer (Mass.)--Social conditions--20th century
- Poles--Cultural assimilation--Massachusetts--History--20th century
- Polish American friendly societies--Massachusetts--Palmer--History
- Polish Americans--Ethnic identity--History--20th century
- Polish Americans--Massachusetts--Palmer
- Polish Americans--Political activity--History--20th century
- Massachusetts Federation of Polish Women's Clubs
- Polish American Women Citizens Political Club of Three Rivers and Thorndike (Palmer, Mass.)
- Polish Women's Club of Three Rivers (Palmer, Mass.)
Types of material
Port of Dennis Enrollment Bonds Collection, 1889-1894.
1 vol. (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 290 bd
Bonds entered in application for a Certificate of Enrollment for commerce vessels at the port of Dennis in Barnstable, Massachusetts. Volume contains 200 bonds (80 of which are completed), that provide names of the managing owner(s), the name and weight of the vessel, the sum of the bond, and the master of the vessel, and document the commercial activities of some residents in the towns of Dennis, Yarmouth, and Harwich.
- Barnstable County (Mass.)--Commerce--History--19th century
- Barnstable County (Mass.)--Economic conditions--19th century
- Dennis (Mass. : Town)--Economic conditions--19th century
- Dennis (Mass.)--Commerce--History--19th century
- Harwich (Mass.)--Commerce--History--19th century
- Harwich (Mass.)--Economic conditions--19th century
- Ship registers--Massachusetts--Barnstable County--History
- Shipping--Massachusetts--Barnstable County--History--19th century
- Yarmouth (Mass.)--Commerce--History--19th century
- Yarmouth (Mass.)--Economic conditions--19th century