Paul and Olive Colburn Collection, 1894-2001.
Call no.: MS 860
Husband and wife Paul Francis and Olive (“Tommie” Fox) Colburn were active members of the Association for Gravestone Studies from the 1980s. Natives of Lowell, Mass., and long-time residents of Berwick, Me., the Colburns shared an interest in New England gravestones and marker symbolism, with Tommie enjoying a particular specialty in metal-based markers.
The Colburn collection represents a cross-section of the couple’s work documenting and lecturing about New England grave markers and marker symbolism as well as Victorian funerary practice. Of note are a small number of items reflecting Victorian mourning culture, including images of funeral wreaths and arrangements, three mourning handkerchiefs, and a funeral card.
- Sepulchral monuments--Connecticut
- Sepulchral monuments--Maine
- Sepulchral monuments--Massachusetts
- Sepulchral monuments--New Hampshire
- Sepulchral monuments--New York
- Sepulchral monuments--Rhode Island
- Sepulchral monuments--Vermont
- Colburn, Olive
Types of material