Transfers to the archives
The University Archives is a partner in preserving the legal and historical record of UMass Amherst and we work with academic, administrative, and other units all across campus. Our goal is to make the process of transferring records to the archives as simple as possible while ensuring that the records can be found and retrieved easily.
The record transfer process
- Confirm that the records you wish to transfer are no longer needed for regular operations in your department. Remove and destroy any duplicate or redundant files as well as those not scheduled for retention.
- In most cases, we advise retaining three years of records in-house, transferring only older records.
- Rehouse the records to be transferred into banker boxes which we provide. Keep the current file order intact.
- Create an inventory of the records using the transfer form (excel) we provide and label the corresponding boxes using the box labels template (MS Word).
- To assist in identification and retrieval, please keep file names clear, concise, and memorable.
- Inform the archivists of any restrictions on access that apply to files being transferred. If any records are scheduled for future destruction, please note carefully which are to be destroyed and when.
- Schedule a time for pick up by emailing or phoning (413-545-2780) the Archives. Please allow 2-3 business days.
- Upon receipt of the materials at the Archives, we will send an acknowledgment for your records and provide you with an accession number for future reference.
- Make three copies of the transfer form: two are for use by the archives, and the third will serve as your record of transfer and guide for future access.
Is this your first time transferring records to the archives?
Email or call (413-545-2780) us for a consultation. We will survey your records, discuss best practices for caring for your files, and review the transfer process.
How can you retrieve items that have been sent to the archives?
Email or call (413-545-2780) us with the following information: accession number, Record Group (RG) number, Box number, and folder title. We will retrieve requested materials and deliver them, typically within 2-3 business days.