Northampton State Hospital Annual Reports, 1856-1939.
74 items (digital)
Call no.: Digital
The Northampton State Hospital was opened in 1858 to provide moral therapy to the “insane,” and under the superintendency of Pliny Earle, became one of the best known asylums in New England. Before the turn of the century, however, the Hospital declined, facing the problems of overcrowding, poor sanitation, and inadequate funding. The push for psychiatric deinstitutionalization in the 1960s and 1970s resulted in a steady reduction of the patient population, the last eleven of whom left Northampton State in 1993.
With the Government Documents staff, SCUA has digitized the annual reports of the Northampton State Hospital from the beginning until the last published report in 1939. The reports appeared annually from 1856 until 1924 and irregularly from then until 1939.
Northampton Temperance Collection, 1828-1847.
1 box (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 194
By the time Massachusetts ratified the Eighteenth Amendment banning the production, sale, and transportation of alcohol in 1918, the Pioneer Valley’s temperance societies had been active for over 75 years. Working “in all suitable ways … [to promote] discontinuance [of the use of alcohol] all throughout the Community”, the Northampton Temperance Association, the Factory Village Total Abstinence Society, and the Northampton Martha Washington Temperance Society recruited members, held meetings, elected presidents, and wrote explicit constitutions.
The Northampton Temperance Association collection contains copies of constitutions, meeting minutes, pledge lists, and membership records from three like-minded Pioneer Valley organizations from 1828 to 1847.
John Olver Papers, ca.1990-2012.
57 boxes (85.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 748
John Olver served as representive from the 1st Congressional District in Massachusetts for over two decades. Born in Honesdale, Pa., on Sept. 3, 1936, Olver began an academic career at UMass Amherst shortly after earning his doctorate in chemistry at MIT in 1961. In 1969, however, he resigned his position to pursue a career in politics. Winning election to the Massachusetts House in 1969 as a Democratic representative from Hampshire County, Olver went on to the state Senate in 1973, and finally to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1991, where he followed 17-term Republican Congessman Silvio O. Conte. Olver was a progressive voice for a district stretching from the Berkshire Hills through northern Worcester and Middlesex Counties, enjoying consistently strong support from his constituents for his support for issues ranging from national health care to immigration reform, regional economic development, human rights, and opposition to the wars in Iraq. A member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, he held seats on the Appropriations Committee and subcommittees on Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, Energy and Water Development, and Homeland Security. With the redistricting process in Massachusetts in 2011, Olver announced that he would not seek reelection in 2012.
The Olver papers contain thorough documentation of the congressman’s career in Washington, including records of his policy positions, committee work, communications with the public, and the initiatives he supported in transportation, economic development, the environment, energy policy, and human rights. Material in the collection was drawn from each of Olver’s three district offices (Holyoke, Pittsfield, and Fitchburg), as well his central office in Washington.
- Massachusetts--Politics and government--1951-
- United States--Politics and government--1989-
- United States--Politics and government--2001-2009
- United States. Congress. House
Otis Company Records, 1846-1847.
2 folders (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 310
The Otis Company of Ware, Massachusetts, was founded in 1839 and became a major producer of textiles, including checks, denims, and cotton underwear. At the height of their operations, the company operated three mills with a workforce of over 1,300.
The collection contains correspondence between Otis agent Henry Lyon and the firms of Parks, Wright & Co. (1846-47) and Wright, Whitman & Co. (1847), both of Boston. It includes bills, invoices, letters, and memos, covering orders for such goods as lamp glasses, patent starch, whale oil, gas pipes, bales of cotton, pot and pearl ashes, fish glue, sour flour, fire buckets, potato starch, tar, sheet copper, and indigo.
- Mills and milling--Massachusetts--Ware
- Textile industry--Massachusetts
- Ware (Mass.)--History
Our Daily Bread Food Coop Collection, ca.1970-1980.
1 box (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 533
Owned by Swift River Coop Corp., Our Daily Bread Food Coop, located in Orange, Massachusetts, supplied food to more than 200 households in the Orange-Athol area. This small collections consists entirely of correspondence and the group’s newsletters.
- Agriculture, Cooperative--Massachusetts
- Food cooperatives--Massachusetts
- Our Daily Bread Food Coop
Our Hideaway Collection, 1998-1999.
1 box (0.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 647
Founded in Chicopee, Massachusetts in 1949 under another name, Our Hideaway was the oldest women’s bar on the east coast, offering the local lesbian community a safe haven in which to socialize for fifty continuous years. Before the bar was forced to close after losing its lease in 1999, it was home to a diverse community of women from those known as “old timers,” comprised of women patronizing the bar for upwards of 25 years, to college students new to the area.
As part of a project to research the lesbian bar as a social institution, Smith College student Heather Rothenberg conducted interviews of the women who frequented Our Hideaway. During the course of her research an unexpected announcement was made: the bar was closing. As a result, Rothenberg’s efforts to document Our Hideaway extended far beyond her original intent, and she was able to capture the final days of the bar as both a physical place as well as a community of women assembled over five decades. The collection consists of interview transcripts, emails, photographs and Rothenberg’s written reports. Transcripts of the interviews were modified to protect the privacy of the women interviewed; the original transcripts are restricted.
- Lesbian bars--Massachusetts
- Lesbian business enterprises--Massachusetts
- Lesbian community--Massachusetts
PFLAG Pioneer Valley Records, 1987-1994.
1 box (0.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 397
The Pioneer Valley chapter of Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) was established in 1986 by Jean and James Genasci, parents of a gay son and advocates of civil rights for gays and lesbians. As the group’s local coordinators, the Genacis conducted workshops on homosexuality and homophobia, and offered support to gays and lesbians and their families.
The collection consists chiefly of newspaper clippings containing articles about the work of PFLAG as well as annoucements for upcoming meetings and events. Bulletins and newsletters issued by PFLAG document their activities, in particular their support of the 1989 Massachusetts gay rights bill, as do photographs featuring demonstrations and exhibits.
- Gay rights
- Gays--Family relationships
- Lesbians--Family relationships
- Parents of gays--Massachusetts
- Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (Pioneer Valley, Mass.)
Alfred A. Parker Daybooks, 1877-1889.
4 vols. (0.25 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 235
Stove and tinware dealer from Orange, Massachusetts, who also did business in the nearby towns of New Salem and Erving.
Alfred A. Parker’s account books include customers (local residents and Orange businesses such as the Gold Medal Sewing Machine Co., the Orange Manufacturing Co., and the Rodney Hunt Machine Co.), charges for labor (especially soldering), the cost of stoves, pipe, kettles of various sorts, roofing material, and information about shipping costs.
- Freight and freightage--Rates--Massachusetts--History--19th century
- Gold Medal Sewing Machine Company
- Kettles--Prices--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- New Salem (Mass.)--History
- Orange (Mass.)--Economic conditions--19th century
- Orange Manufacturing Company (Orange, Mass.)
- Pipe--Prices--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- Rodney Hunt Machine Company
- Roofing--Prices--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- Solder and soldering--Costs--History--19th century
- Stove industry and trade--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- Stoves--Prices--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- Tinsmithing--Massachusetts--Orange--History--19th century
- Tinsmiths--Massachusetts--Orange--Economic conditions--19th century
- Parker, Alfred A., b. 1822
Types of material
George A. Parker Class of 1876 Photograph Album, 1876.
1 vol., 90 images (0.5 linear feet).
Call no.: RG 130 P37
A prominent member of the Massachusetts Agricultural College Class of 1876, George A. Parker (1853-1926) began a career in landscape gardening and the development of parks shortly after graduation. Shortly after the turn of the century, he was appointed Superintendent of Parks in Hartford, Conn., helping to develop Colt Park and a number of smaller properties that turned the city into one of the models for New England. He resigned from his in January 1926 and died later that year from heart disease.
The Parker Album is a more extensive version of the standard class album for 1876, featuring not only albumen portraits mounted on thick stock of the faculty and students, but almost fifty views of campus. Among these are uncommon images of the major academic buildings, the chapel, and hash house, but also interior and exterior shots of buildings on campus, such as the Botanic Museum and the Durfee greenhouses, and images of the students in military drill. All photographs were taken John L. Lovell of Amherst.
- Massachusetts Agricultural College--Photographs
- Lovell, John L., 1825-1903
- Parker, George A
Types of material
- Albumen prints
Harrison Parker's History of Hawley Collection, ca.1970-1995.
7 boxes (10.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 532
Named for Joseph Hawley, a local leader in the American Revolution, the town was first settled in 1760 by residents of Hatfield, Massachusetts. Situated in Franklin County, Hawley was officially incorporated as a town in 1792. Today the town is host to a few small businesses, farms, and less than 500 residents.
The collection consists of copies of manuscripts, publications, and genealogical notes all related to the history of Hawley collected by researcher Harrison Parker.