John W. Haigis Papers, 1903-1974
12 boxes (6 linear feet)
Call no.: MS 304
Western Massachusetts political leader, publisher, and banker (1881-1960), Trustee of the University of Massachusetts (1940-1956), and founder, editor and publisher of the Greenfield Recorder newspaper (1912-1928); political positions included State Representative (1909-1913), State Senator (1913-1915, 1923-1927), and State Treasurer (1929-1930); in 1934, was Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor, and in 1936, candidate for Governor.
The Haigis collection includes scrapbooks (1903-1936), chiefly of clippings, together with speeches (1936), posters, badges, campaign material, and photographs, mainly from Haigis’s unsuccessful campaigns for lieutenant governor (1934) and governor (1936); and tape of an interview (1974) with Leverett Saltonstall about Haigis, conducted by Craig Wallwork.
- Campaign speeches--Massachusetts
- Legislators--Massachusetts--History--20th century
- Massachusetts--Politics and government--1865-1950
- Montague (Mass. : Town)--Politics and government--20th century
- Political candidates--Massachusetts--History--20th century
- Republican Party (Mass.)--History--20th century
- Haigis, John W., 1881-1960
- Saltonstall, Leverett, 1892-
- Wallwork, Craig
Types of material
- Phonograph records