Residents of Greenwich, Massachusetts. Collection includes demands and receipts for taxes (parish, highway, town, county, and state) on various tracts of land that they owned, as well as three items regarding the settling of accounts with local individuals and an agreement to sell pasture land.
The collection is open for research.
Background on Creator:
Greenwich was among the Western Massachusetts towns abolished in 1938 to allow the Swift River Valley to be flooded, thereby creating the Quabbin Reservoir to provide Boston with water.
The collection includes demands and receipts (1804-1809) for taxes (parish, highway, town, county, and state) on various tracts of land in Greenwich, Massachusetts owned by Dr. William and Eleanor Porter, as well as three items (1800-1808) regarding the settling of accounts with local individuals (Ichabod Trandell [Grandall?], James Mills, and Isaac Hunter) and an agreement (1807?) to sell pasture land to Captain West of Greenwich.
Acquired from Donald Howe, 1960.
Processed by Linda Seidman, 1985.
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Cite as: William and Eleanor Porter Tax Records and Accounts (MS 91). Special Collections and University Archives, University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries.