¼ c. butter
1 c. sugar
¾ c. white Karo syrup
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ c. chocolate morsels
½ c. chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. Bourbon
1 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually. Add beaten eggs, syrup, salt, vanilla. Add chocolate, pecans, and Bourbon.
- Stir well.
- Pour into crust and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes, till firmish (okay if it jiggles a little; it will settle down).
- Rewarm to serve.
Note: the name “Derby Pie” is trademarked, but this recipe comes from an old Derby cookbook that belongs to my mother, and in that cookbook it is called “Derby Pie.”
Magical Butternut Squash
Boil cut up squash til tender.
Pour a puddle of 100% pure maple syrup into a large bowl.
Mash squash on top of maple syrup and serve.
Simple and delicious….!
–Submitted by Gayle Sweeney
Submitted by Gayle Sweeney, ’77
juice of one lemon
3 – 4 apples (can be different varieties)
about 1/2 cup of maple syrup to which a little orange juice has been added (a few drops)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
approx. 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Make crisp first. Combine whole wheat flour, melted butter, cinnamon and dark brown sugar til crumbly.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. grease an 8 by 8 pan. I use a glass pan.
3. Peel and cut apples. Toss with juice of one lemon.
4. Put apples in the pan and drizzle with 1/2 the maple syrup/orange juice mixture.
5. Top with crisp. Drizzle with rest of maple syrup/orange juice mixture.
6. Bake 20 – 25 minutes, watching carefully.
7. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.